Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby JC80 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:09 am

I don't have any free external SAS interfaces available in backup server. Also I'm not very keen on using JBOD as a backup repository. Would prefer some RAID level being used.
JC80
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Throw one of these SAS RAID controllers in the server which will let you do RAID on any SAS JBOD you attach to it:
https://www.broadcom.com/products/stora ... -9380-4i4e
https://www.broadcom.com/products/stora ... as-9380-8e

I use this RAID controller in conjunction with Supermicro SAS JBODs with great success.
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 48 times

[MERGED] Storage Devices for backups

Veeam Logoby Dave23 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Backup Objective
Retain daily backups for 2 weeks
Retain end of week backups for 4 weeks
Retain end of month backups for 6 months
Retain end of year backups for 10 years

Environment
Veeam Backup and Replication 8.0 located at secondary (DR) data center
1 Veeam Proxy at primary (prod) data center
1 Veeam Proxy at secondary (DR) data center
6.6 TB of virtual machine data to backup

Question
I'm have been using Veeam for years but just for replication and would now like to utilize the product for backups to disk storage and move away from tape. I was able to get my hands on a HP StoreOnce virtual appliance on a POC and was trying to use this as my primary backup and backup copy (GFS) repository, only to find out that the backup copy was taking days and I had to stop it. Apparently this will not work due to the rehydration of data from being deduplicated on the device. My vendor recommended I use a server with JBODs as my primary backup for the 2 week's worth of daily backups and use a HP StoreOnce for my backup copy job with long-term retention. Does this sound like the "best practice" scenario for Veeam backups?

I should mention that we would like two copies of all backups so I would want to have two HP StoreOnce applicances replicating from one site to another and would also need some form of replication for my 2 week's worth of daily backups.

I would appreciate any feedback or what others are doing in their data center. My POC on the HP appliance is about to expire and I do not have additional storage to test with at this moment, but need to budget for something quickly for our upcoming fiscal year. Thank you in advance.
Dave23
Novice

Full Name: Dave

Re: [MERGED] Storage Devices for backups

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Dave23 wrote:My vendor recommended I use a server with JBODs as my primary backup for the 2 week's worth of daily backups and use a HP StoreOnce for my backup copy job with long-term retention. Does this sound like the "best practice" scenario for Veeam backups?

Yes, this is indeed among our best practices, please review the first post in this thread for details.

I'd also recommend upgrading your Veeam B&R instance and utilize Catalyst, if you decide to go with StoreOnce, you will see much better performance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] New Backup SAN Questions / Help

Veeam Logoby mdking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi All,

Firstly sorry if this has been covered a million times already!

I have the opportunity to replace our existing backup solution with a new solution which hopefully will provide better resilience and performance.

Current system:

3 x QNAP 12 Bay NAS Server
All running WD Red Pro 6TB Drives
Raid 6 in each NAS
Using 2 x 1GB Ethernet Trunked ports per server
Mounted onto the Veeam VM using iscsi mapping.

Veeam backup jobs are all Reverse incremental

New solution:
Infortrend EonStor DS1000 24 Bay with Redundant controller + a 16bay expansion JB 2000 for extra storage.
2 x 10Gbe SFP+ ports which will go back directly to the main server room
6TB Enterprise drives.

Backup preferences currently:

24 VMs backed up in total:
Backup job 1
20 of these VMs are backed up every night with Reverse incremental and kept for 14 days (Monthly Active Full taken) Approx total full backup 900GB

Backup job 2
3 of these VMs are backed up every night with Reverse incremental and kept for 60 days (Monthly Active Full taken) Approx total full backup 400GB

Backup job 3
1 of these VMs are backed up every night with Reverse incremental and kept for 120 days (Monthly Active Full taken) Approx total full backup 5.5TB

What would be the best Raid type for these drives? Splitting them up into 3 Raid 10 for each backup above?
Also as the current nas mounting solution is using iscsi on to the veeam server, does this provide any draw backs / performance problems?

Also the large VM is very slow when performing FLR, I presume this is due to A: the Size of the VM and the server its sitting on with the 1GB links?

Thanks in advance!
Matt
mdking
Enthusiast

Full Name: Matt King

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi and welcome to the community!

What would be the best Raid type for these drives? Splitting them up into 3 Raid 10 for each backup above?
If you do not plan to switch from Reverse Incremental to Forward then I'd recommend you to stay away from RAIDs with parity (5 or 6), RAID 10 is good to go with. Splitting will eliminate all performance benefits of having many spindles, so it is better to stay with a single array. This article is also useful.

Please also check this thread.

Also as the current nas mounting solution is using iscsi on to the veeam server, does this provide any draw backs / performance problems?
iSCSI is fine. Since you plan to use 10 Gbit, the link is not likely to be a bottleneck in your case.

Also the large VM is very slow when performing FLR, I presume this is due to A: the Size of the VM and the server its sitting on with the 1GB links?
Which part of FLR process is the slowest? Browsing for files to restore or the actual restore process?

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 231 times

Veeam Logoby mdking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so Raid 10 on a single volume...

On the FLR process, it's the mourning of the backup file. Also the veeam VM sometimes bluescreens, but I think this is due to a Antibvirus solution being on this server. I have spoken to support regarding it, they said to remove the AV entirely.
That feels slightly worrying todo!
mdking
Enthusiast

Full Name: Matt King

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:54 am

Hi,

On the FLR process, it's the mourning of the backup file.
Kindly create a separate thread with a detailed description of your infrastructure (repo location, mount server settings etc).

I have spoken to support regarding it, they said to remove the AV entirely.
I think that adding Veeam services to AV exclusions should be enough. Please also post your case ID.

Thank you
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 231 times

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication