Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby JC80 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:09 am

I don't have any free external SAS interfaces available in backup server. Also I'm not very keen on using JBOD as a backup repository. Would prefer some RAID level being used.
JC80
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Throw one of these SAS RAID controllers in the server which will let you do RAID on any SAS JBOD you attach to it:
https://www.broadcom.com/products/stora ... -9380-4i4e
https://www.broadcom.com/products/stora ... as-9380-8e

I use this RAID controller in conjunction with Supermicro SAS JBODs with great success.
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 47 times

[MERGED] Storage Devices for backups

Veeam Logoby Dave23 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Backup Objective
Retain daily backups for 2 weeks
Retain end of week backups for 4 weeks
Retain end of month backups for 6 months
Retain end of year backups for 10 years

Environment
Veeam Backup and Replication 8.0 located at secondary (DR) data center
1 Veeam Proxy at primary (prod) data center
1 Veeam Proxy at secondary (DR) data center
6.6 TB of virtual machine data to backup

Question
I'm have been using Veeam for years but just for replication and would now like to utilize the product for backups to disk storage and move away from tape. I was able to get my hands on a HP StoreOnce virtual appliance on a POC and was trying to use this as my primary backup and backup copy (GFS) repository, only to find out that the backup copy was taking days and I had to stop it. Apparently this will not work due to the rehydration of data from being deduplicated on the device. My vendor recommended I use a server with JBODs as my primary backup for the 2 week's worth of daily backups and use a HP StoreOnce for my backup copy job with long-term retention. Does this sound like the "best practice" scenario for Veeam backups?

I should mention that we would like two copies of all backups so I would want to have two HP StoreOnce applicances replicating from one site to another and would also need some form of replication for my 2 week's worth of daily backups.

I would appreciate any feedback or what others are doing in their data center. My POC on the HP appliance is about to expire and I do not have additional storage to test with at this moment, but need to budget for something quickly for our upcoming fiscal year. Thank you in advance.
Dave23
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Dave

Re: [MERGED] Storage Devices for backups

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Dave23 wrote:My vendor recommended I use a server with JBODs as my primary backup for the 2 week's worth of daily backups and use a HP StoreOnce for my backup copy job with long-term retention. Does this sound like the "best practice" scenario for Veeam backups?

Yes, this is indeed among our best practices, please review the first post in this thread for details.

I'd also recommend upgrading your Veeam B&R instance and utilize Catalyst, if you decide to go with StoreOnce, you will see much better performance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1011 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication