Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 am

What would the recommendation be now in 2017 with Veeam 9.5 ... it seems it is Server 2016 & ReFS with local drives/DAS if you need more space. Is this a correct assumption?
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Yes, this is a recommendation keeping price/performance/space reduction aspects in mind.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:30 am

After reading about ReFS in 2016 and the improved deplication, would using ReFS still give greater space saving benefits over deplucation? Has anyone done a comparison?
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby response3 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:47 pm

What kind of overhead are is everyone seeing with ReFS? Coming from a raid world, it's pretty easy to calculate your usable space based on raid type. How do you do this in ReFS?
response3
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: BG

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:41 pm

If you are talking about overhead from file system structures, then it should not be dramatically different from stuffed NTFS (or be a concern at all for that matter, just like it is not a concern with NTFS). We're for sure talking less than 1% of total volume capacity or so here...
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2409 times

[MERGED] Help for choice of backup storage unit.

Veeam Logoby flamb » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Goodmorning everyone.
I would like your advice to implement an storage unit dedicated to veeam in my infrastructure.

I currently have two HP ML350 server G8 vSphere 5.1 u1.
I have 8 drives in each server. Type SAS 1TB 7200 rpm in raid 5 divided into lun.
Servers with 4 1gbps NIC each, connected to two cisco switches sg200-26.

On two esx hosts run some virtual machines.
SRVDC01 and 02 (one on esx01 and the second on the esx02).
SRVAPP01 (critical server app)
SRVAPP02
SRVAPP03
SRVTS01
SRVBCK01 (Veeam)
vcenter

I attach a screen with the use of resources.

At the moment I'm doing incremental backups on a buffalo TS5200 nas connected as iscsi units to SRVBCK01 virtual server.
Nas is the low-end, with a volume of about 1.78 tb.
I also have a job replication of a critical VM (srvapp01) to the ESX02 every day at 1am and 1pm.

Can recommend me some storage units? One high-end unit and one average unit ?

Thank you all.

flamb
Service Provider

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby pirx » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Any recommendations for backup storage for remote locations? We have some large NetApp filers in HQ for backup and backup copy but need something cheaper for our smaller remote locations. The size varies from 1-2 VM's with ~1-2TB used disk space to 10-20 VM's with 10+TB. For larger locations we will NetApps. But these small locations often don't even have the budget for a proper ESXi host, so we need a NAS (or maybe a server with local disks) that is not too expensive but can also be integrated in monitoring systems like SCOM, OPC or Fujitsu Server View. Backup over WAN is not possible because the bandwidth is too low (south america etc), so we need a local device. I thought about Fujitsu Celvin NAS (http://www.fujitsu.com/de/products/comp ... s/storage/) which is a relabeled Qnap device AFAIK.
pirx
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:27 am

As it's been mentioned here before, a server with a bunch of local disks might work better in this scenario. Keep in mind that you will still need a physical server in each remote location anyway, to play the role of a gateway server for those NAS shares. Thanks!
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Help for choice of backup storage unit.

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 am 1 person likes this post

flamb wrote:Can recommend me some storage units? One high-end unit and one average unit ?

There are so many options here:

As you already live in the HPE world:
You can use a Standard HPE Server with a good raid controller and local disks as backup target. Or if needed a HPE Apollo Server. Potentially there are other servers/workstations that can be used in a minimal configuration but with good raid controllers.

If you want a Storage System, I would look at some mid range storage solutions as they are pretty reliable: A small HPE storage, NetApp E-Series, IBM/Lenovo Storwize, the list prices are sometimes high but discounts are high as well.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 383 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Re: Help for choice of backup storage unit.

Veeam Logoby flamb » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks for the tips!
flamb
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby BradI » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Building a DIY unit - sanity check?

Ok, I have a slow 1.5MBps connection to our co-location. The link and co-lo are only used for offsite backups. So I rationalize I don't need a super heavy hitting server on the other side. With that said, the Buffalo NAS unit we do have there just isn't cutting it. It's old, just 2 GB RAM.

I am thinking of taking an extra i7 Desktop with 20GB RAM we have and building that into a NAS. Load that up with 4 hard drives with JBOD and use a 60GB SSD for the cache. I know there are drawbacks to JBOD but with an SSD cache, maybe we make this work?
BradI
Novice

Full Name: Brad Isaac

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Sounds good to me, except it is a little bit overpowered for a backup repository in terms of CPU to be honest, you can probably go with the cheapest modern CPU like i3. By the way, what drawbacks of JBOD are you talking about, and how exactly are you planning to deploy that SSD to fix those?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby BradI » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Gostev wrote: By the way, what drawbacks of JBOD are you talking about, and how exactly are you planning to deploy that SSD to fix those?

I didn't mean it that way exactly. I meant that 4 JBOD are going to be slower than say 12 HD set up in Raid 6 with a nice Raid controller. Maybe the SSD could offset some of that slowdown? I don't know.

I am having the problem currently on my old NAS where it gets about 5% in on GPT creation and then errors out due to an IO error. Support says that error is due to disk speed.
BradI
Novice

Full Name: Brad Isaac

Veeam Logoby JC80 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 am

We need to upgrade our backup solution because of data increase. Weekly full is about 8TB (three separate jobs). There's a couple of massive Oracle database servers. Daily incrementals are about 300GB.

We are going to need about 40-45TB free space and I'm thinking of this Synology https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RS3617xs with 8 x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf Sata disks. Then make a RAID 6 and would have about 48TB of space? Does that sound any good? Price would be about 5000 EUR. Oh, and 10GbE NIC for that Synology too. There is an option to add that.

We already have a separate physical server with Veeam installed. There is no space to attach local disks so that is why I'm thinking this Synology with SATA disks.
JC80
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:54 pm

JC80 wrote:There is no space to attach local disks so that is why I'm thinking this Synology with SATA disks.

Can you attach an external JBOD?
Gostev
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication