Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 pm

You can find some recommendations regarding backup storage in this thread. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1060 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby avelinop01 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Thank you. I was looking for exact feedback on the Synology units I was looking at.
avelinop01
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Probably others who had the ability to use these models will chime in, my main point was to pay your attention at other possible options as well.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1060 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby avelinop01 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:05 pm

of course. Thank you.
avelinop01
Novice

Veeam Logoby ITP-Stan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:05 am

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products ... ce#xs_plus

The XS+ is faster, but is it worth the price difference, I can't tell.

You're probably only going to do ISCSI to the box from a mount/proxy/backup server.
ITP-Stan
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

NetApp FAS for Backup Target

Veeam Logoby Mildur » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:47 am

We are looking into acquiring "NetApp FAS with NL SAS" for primary (or better secondary) iSCSI Backup target. Is this a good choice?
I know, technically it will work. But what about the performance? Backup and restore times?
What are the impacts with "refs filesystem in the iscsi volume on windows site" and "deduplication on netapp site"?

Thank you very much, if someone has any experience with this scenario.
Mildur
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:32 am

Anybody using Dell R730XD servers with lots of disk as a target repository? Looking to move my daily backups to something like this, as the Dell DR series dedupe appliance isn't coping. The DR works well for the longer term GFS backups, but the daily backups need to be moved to something faster. Keen to hear from people using the R730XD, and what configuration you have?
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby ITP-Stan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:11 pm

I would definitely do primary backup to something fast, so no dedup appliance or windows dedup. Direct attached storage with a bunch of disks is definitely a good option, speed-wise. A SAN with decent throughput will do fine as well.
For GFS secondary backup dedup makes sense, or just use ReFS 64k without dedup.
ITP-Stan
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Veeam Logoby JaySt » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:45 pm

btmaus wrote:Anybody using Dell R730XD servers with lots of disk as a target repository? Looking to move my daily backups to something like this, as the Dell DR series dedupe appliance isn't coping. The DR works well for the longer term GFS backups, but the daily backups need to be moved to something faster. Keen to hear from people using the R730XD, and what configuration you have?

Great machines ! Used them a couple of times for dedicated repository servers and all-in-one appliance-like deployments running Windows server 2016. We have very good performance using perc h730 and 12 disk RAID6 disk setups, dual 8 core xeons and 64GB+ memory. Additionally two SSD disks in the flexbays in the back for boot and vpower cache . 600MB - 1GB/s sequential throughput easily. 10gbit ethernet mostly, some have direct SAN connetions using FC or iSCSI

You could go with storage spaces as well instead of perc raid for additional data integrity checks/healing but its a decision based on management complexity, knowledge etc. if you want simple management, just raid6 gives great results. Preconfiguring a perc H830 adapter for external disk enclosures (MD) is also convenient to quickly/easy adding of capacity if needed in the future

I do have to say all of them protect less than 15TB data currently and less than 75 VMs. So i cannot say i've really stressed them out though i feel they can take quite some additional load.

Im still waiting to deploy multiple 730xd's in a SOBR setup.

I'd reccomend them
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JaySt

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:07 am

@JaySt

Thanks for the info. The 12 disk RAID6 setup you have, is that NL SAS drives? I'm looking at 8TB NL SAS drives in RAID6 to give me the capacity, just worried the performance might be that great?
btmaus
Expert

Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby PaulNSW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:31 am

Currently running a 730xd with ReFS Storage Spaces on 2016. So far so good...
Due to a bit of confusion during the order process, we've ended up with a bit of a mix of parts, but it's been running smoothly.
Dell HBA330 mini (integrated) to control all the Storage Spaces disks in mirror config (12x 6TB Seagate ST6000NM0095 SAS)
Dell Perc H300 (pcie) controlling the two disks in the Flexbays

Just using a 4 port 1GB NIC, 1 to mgmt, 2 to iSCSI (direct-san to Equallogic that stores all VMs), 1 to QNAP for off-site

Protecting around 30 VMs and a total of 25TB of data
PaulNSW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby JaySt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 pm

btmaus wrote:@JaySt

Thanks for the info. The 12 disk RAID6 setup you have, is that NL SAS drives? I'm looking at 8TB NL SAS drives in RAID6 to give me the capacity, just worried the performance might be that great?

Yes i use NLSAS drives. Performance is great. I get >1GB/s sequential throughput on the local machine easily. So network is bottlneck for full backups. i use ReFS blockclone during synthetic fulls, so no real performance needed for that either. i also have some machines running NTFS for the repo and it's running just fine, hundreds of MBs/s throughput.

But it depends on what you will send to the repository, backup methods, transfer modes etc etc.
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Full Name: JaySt

Veeam Logoby knalbone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 pm

PaulNSW wrote:Currently running a 730xd with ReFS Storage Spaces on 2016. So far so good...
Due to a bit of confusion during the order process, we've ended up with a bit of a mix of parts, but it's been running smoothly.
Dell HBA330 mini (integrated) to control all the Storage Spaces disks in mirror config (12x 6TB Seagate ST6000NM0095 SAS)
Dell Perc H300 (pcie) controlling the two disks in the Flexbays

Just using a 4 port 1GB NIC, 1 to mgmt, 2 to iSCSI (direct-san to Equallogic that stores all VMs), 1 to QNAP for off-site

Protecting around 30 VMs and a total of 25TB of data

Looking to size something similar myself. I was wondering what your retention looks like. We want nightly incremental backups with weekly synthetic full on 7TB of data. 30 days worth of restore points. The sizing tool at http://rps.dewin.me/ tells me we'll need > 56TB. Excluding space savings from ReFS I wonder if that sounds accurate.
VMCE 9.5
knalbone
Service Provider

Full Name: Ken Nalbone

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication