Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EdSeibert3
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed Seibert

[MERGED] JBOD repositories

Post by EdSeibert3 »

What is everyone out there using as repositories? We have standard 30 day retention and looking to get into JBOD repos. What is the best stuff available today? I found some older posts but nothing from the last few years. Primarily a Dell shop but open to others.

Dmont
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David

Re: JBOD repositories

Post by Dmont »

We use a mix of storage:
multiple HPE StoreOnce,
Multiple QNAP nas,
IBM V7000,
AWS.

Retention depends on the service, it ranges from 2days all the way through to 30 days.

I'm not sure what stuff (hardware) is recommended now, so I'm interested what other peoples views are.

nitramd
Expert
Liked: 63 times

Re: JBOD repositories

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

Is there a reason you want to use JBOD? This method does not provide any type of redundancy.

Given that you want a repo, I think you'd better off with a RAID array and a discrete RAID card, aka HBA.

You can use:
RAID-10 for a good balance of read/write speeds but you sacrifice overall capacity, i.e. you'll have only 50% of total capacity.

RAID-6 for quite good read performance but not great write performance - this type of RAID yields higher overall capacity than RAID-10.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1741 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Post by foggy »

Hi Ed, tons of recommendations are given in the thread above, please review.

therealdj
Novice
Full Name: Dave Jerome

[MERGED] Repo recommendations??

Post by therealdj »

Hi All,
Im currently managing an environment where our store once device is coming to the end of its life.
We backup around 30TB of data including a couple of big physical servers (legacy exchange and file services), I haven't had a look at the market for a while and id be interested to know what people are using these days and recommend?

Im open to either appliances or software that can be installed on something, im looking for good dedupe and as fast as possible ingestion and obviously as cheap as possible.

Thanks

ejenner
Expert
Liked: 83 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Repo recommendations??

Post by ejenner »

We use a lot of HP DS3600 storage arrays connected to Windows 2016 servers. We've formatted using ReFS (latest 2016 version) and we get a lot of good space savings with the ReFS.

I've configured one of my systems with three DS3600s daisy-chained and presented as a single volume to Windows with about 150tb of space. Not had any trouble with that and it's nice to have the continuous volume so you don't have to mess about moving jobs between volumes running low on space.

nitramd
Expert
Liked: 63 times

Post by nitramd »

Hello Dave.

I've found that one of the keys to fast ingest is a high number of physical CPU cores on the data repository - think parallel ingest. In this case more is better.

For a disk array, see my post above for a couple of RAID types.

Other factors involved for ingesting quickly are network speed and storage type, i.e. flash has higher bandwidth than mechanical drives.

To mention what you already know, your budget determines all.

Hope this helps and good luck.

MS84
Novice

[MERGED] Choose new backup repository

Post by MS84 »

Hi,
I’m looking for new backup repository for my Veeam backup. I’m currently looking at a Synology RS2418 with 10x10TB disks. At the moment I need 50TB diskspace and room for expansion. I’m backing up 3 ESXi hosts with 16 VMs.
Is this a bad choice? It will be used as my backup copy (GFS) repository.
Anything I should pay attention to? Is it the right CPU, is 4GB of RAM enough, SSD Cache?
And when it comes to configuration of the NAS, I was thinking of using RAID6, but is there a better option? SHR?
What block size and filesystem when formatting the drive?
Should I use iSCSI, CIFS or NFS?
I know it’s a lot of questions and there are a lot of threads about some of these questions but no clear answers. I really hope you guys can help me.
Best Regards,

Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 331 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Choose new backup repository

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi!
You are right, too many variables here to recommend "the best" way to implement it.
I would start with RAID6, 128K stripe size, iSCSI to Windows Server 2016 with all ReFS-related patches installed, 64K block size on Windows volume.
From here, you can launch first backups and observe bottlenecks to improve performance further.
/Cheers!

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1741 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This thread contains other hints as well, worth reviewing - at least the very first post. You can also search the forums for other blocksize-related discussions. Thanks!

nezzer
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andreas Svensson

Post by nezzer »

I've been using Lenovo SR650 with tripple 12Gbit HBAs and 24 SATA SSD's since that series was born.
Has been working really well I have however disabled Windows SS dedupe since it was having lots of issues.

When using instant restore of hard working database servers there is only one way to go and that is -> SSDS. It dosen't need to be enterprise grade SSDS but the latency gains makes astronomical difference in both backup and restore scenarios.
The servers are running NDBSSL and acting as proxies aswell, hard working babies but relativly cheap setup which scales well. 8)
Windows SS STD mirroring and REFS 64k