Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EdSeibert3
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed Seibert

[MERGED] JBOD repositories

Post by EdSeibert3 » Nov 05, 2019 2:32 pm

What is everyone out there using as repositories? We have standard 30 day retention and looking to get into JBOD repos. What is the best stuff available today? I found some older posts but nothing from the last few years. Primarily a Dell shop but open to others.

Dmont
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David

Re: JBOD repositories

Post by Dmont » Nov 05, 2019 2:47 pm

We use a mix of storage:
multiple HPE StoreOnce,
Multiple QNAP nas,
IBM V7000,
AWS.

Retention depends on the service, it ranges from 2days all the way through to 30 days.

I'm not sure what stuff (hardware) is recommended now, so I'm interested what other peoples views are.

nitramd
Expert
Liked: 48 times

Re: JBOD repositories

Post by nitramd » Nov 05, 2019 2:57 pm 1 person likes this post

Is there a reason you want to use JBOD? This method does not provide any type of redundancy.

Given that you want a repo, I think you'd better off with a RAID array and a discrete RAID card, aka HBA.

You can use:
RAID-10 for a good balance of read/write speeds but you sacrifice overall capacity, i.e. you'll have only 50% of total capacity.

RAID-6 for quite good read performance but not great write performance - this type of RAID yields higher overall capacity than RAID-10.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1589 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Post by foggy » Nov 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Ed, tons of recommendations are given in the thread above, please review.

therealdj
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Jerome

[MERGED] Repo recommendations??

Post by therealdj » Nov 22, 2019 10:39 am

Hi All,
Im currently managing an environment where our store once device is coming to the end of its life.
We backup around 30TB of data including a couple of big physical servers (legacy exchange and file services), I haven't had a look at the market for a while and id be interested to know what people are using these days and recommend?

Im open to either appliances or software that can be installed on something, im looking for good dedupe and as fast as possible ingestion and obviously as cheap as possible.

Thanks

ejenner
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Repo recommendations??

Post by ejenner » Nov 22, 2019 11:58 am

We use a lot of HP DS3600 storage arrays connected to Windows 2016 servers. We've formatted using ReFS (latest 2016 version) and we get a lot of good space savings with the ReFS.

I've configured one of my systems with three DS3600s daisy-chained and presented as a single volume to Windows with about 150tb of space. Not had any trouble with that and it's nice to have the continuous volume so you don't have to mess about moving jobs between volumes running low on space.

nitramd
Expert
Liked: 48 times

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Post by nitramd » Nov 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Hello Dave.

I've found that one of the keys to fast ingest is a high number of physical CPU cores on the data repository - think parallel ingest. In this case more is better.

For a disk array, see my post above for a couple of RAID types.

Other factors involved for ingesting quickly are network speed and storage type, i.e. flash has higher bandwidth than mechanical drives.

To mention what you already know, your budget determines all.

Hope this helps and good luck.