Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby ACC » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:07 am 1 person likes this post

m.novelli wrote:
vaicsimmons wrote:
m.novelli wrote:NLSAS disks (similar to WD Red Pro)
RAID 5 + 1 hot spare

Just curious....why RAID 5??? Just about every opinion that I have read said to stay away from RAID 5 as the chances of a hard drive failure upon a rebuild of the array is pretty high. Therefore, you would lose everything that was on the array.

RAID6 write penalty is too high IMHO for a storage dedicated to backups

In 15+ years of IT I've never lost a RAID5... All my servers and storage always have firmware updated (both raid card and disk firmware). I use only Dell PowerEdge servers. In the last years I've prepared many Veeam Backup servers with 2 - 3 - 4 and now 6 TB NLSAS disks, so far so good. I always use an hot spare. On a recent Dell PowerEdge T630 where failed a 6TB disk, the automatic hot spare coverage took about 8 hours to complete the rebuild (it was a RAID5 made of nine 6 TB disks)

I can't see why a disk that get intensive writes during backups should have an higher failure rate due to intensives reads in case of array rebuild...

Marco

Consider your self very lucky, i have seen over the years pretty much all, faulty hardware, buggy firmware, multiple disk failures causing raid arrays to brake down, and thats not because our customers buy shitty hardware even A-brand hardware vendors like Dell and HP have their share in storage issues.

Raid as we know and use is in my opinion outdated and we desperately need something better, which can handle those multi TB disks and their issues. One of them is the infamous unrecoverable read error, if a disk has unrecoverable read error rate of 10^14 it means that statistically every 12 TB read from this disk it will encounter a unrecoverable read error. Your 42 TB effective storage would statistically hit 3,5 of those errors in a single read pass. If such error so happens during a rebuild, the controller will halt the rebuild and offline the array, because there is no more parity available to recover from this error. The very lucky admin, can with assistance from the hardware vendor get the array glued back together and get a successful rebuild done, the less lucky ones can get the array online to evacuate as much data as possible and the unfortunate ones get the message that the data is considered lost. Because of this pretty much all vendors doesnt recommend using raid5 especially for business critical data or systems.
ACC
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 pm

m.novelli wrote:I can't see why a disk that get intensive writes during backups should have an higher failure rate due to intensives reads in case of array rebuild...
Marco

Marco, this is not the problem. The problem is, during a rebuild you are running in degraded state, and if anything happens to another disk during a rebuild you loose data, simple as that. And with large disks the amount of data going into a single disk is higher than before: if in the past I needed 10TB storage with 2TB disk, your raid5 would have been 6 disks, so 1000 IOPS would have been split in 6. Now, with 5TB disk for example, you have 3 disks to build the same 10TB raid. So each disk has to write double the amount of data each day, and because of this the chances to break are higher.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1342 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby guitarfish » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:29 pm 1 person likes this post

m.novelli wrote:In 15+ years of IT I've never lost a RAID5... All my servers and storage always have firmware updated (both raid card and disk firmware). I use only Dell PowerEdge servers...I always use an hot spare.
Marco

Same here, on all counts. Over the years I've a had a few drives fail, which was easily rectified with a hot swap and online array rebuild. When I first started working with servers in the early 90s, mirrored drives were "the thing". A pair of mirrored 1GB (you read that right) drives was the bees knees, lol. But when RAID-5 caught on, that's what I used for all my servers.

This was until a few years ago when I became aware of the issues regarding RAID-5 on large capacity drives, and the near mathematical certainty of failure. It took me a little while to wrap my head around this, but I have a new appreciation for RAID-1. It's simple, it's fast, and coupled with a good backup regimen, I sleep like a baby. All my servers are now using RAID-1 exclusively.
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby m.novelli » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Guys, after reading a lot about large disks and URE, i'll give a try to RAID6 in my next backup server, to check if the write performance remain acceptable.

Good thread!

Marco
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 36 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Veeam Logoby McKITGuys » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to get some sort of informed summary of this thread? I find that by the end of a long thread, between varying opinions etc, I cannot put together a "generic" enough opinion of what should be used that I can apply it to our circumstances (we have a couple used HP G7's). Or maybe a more current white paper is out there. We are not using a Veeam partner as the reseller we purchased from ended up not knowing as much about Veeam as we would have thought (and it costs $$$ to bring another on just to advise on hardware).

Our situation is what I think is a smaller shop - 15 vm's (9 onsite, 6 at DR site), about 2TB data being backed up translating to about 4TB with 14 retained deltas consolidated on weekends. The onsite is a NetApp SAN (FAS 2220A). Want to backup onsite and move offsite. Right now only backing up to offsite but want to approach management for more hardware.

My outstanding questions from the thread (assuming we re-use the HP chassis):

- type of drive, speed, quality (SATA or should it be SAS? Raid 10? 7200 rpm; Enterprise like Western Digital Red or not needed?)
- controller? lots here mentioned controllers for Dell: how do I translate into one for HP? are there specs I can compare to or ??
- these servers have 4 x 1 Gb ethernet; connection to SAN is also ethernet; hopefully this is good enough?
- I assume the setup should be the VB&R on the HP chassis (repository) and a Veeam proxy on the virtual host connected to the SAN?
- anything else I forgot?

Thanks for any help. Oh, if there are any newer white paper/guides that go out to the partners, is it possible to have access to these and where? Maybe they answer all these questions.
Albert
McKITGuys
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: McKellar Administrators

Backup Repositories - Best Practice

Veeam Logoby bilderg » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi All,

Sorry, I'm still new to Veeam, so this may be redundant.

Looking to setup/configure backup repositories. Should we 1, create repositories for each backup job? 2, Create repositories based on OS being backed up? 3, Create one big repository that includes all backups?

What's best practice, and why? Thank you! -Geoff.
bilderg
Novice

Full Name: Geoff Bilder

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi Geoff,
bilderg wrote:Should we 1, create repositories for each backup job?

No need to do that.
bilderg wrote:2, Create repositories based on OS being backed up?

Depends on what kind of deduplication you are using. For in-line deduplication it makes more sense to combine VMs running same OS in the one job.
bilderg wrote:3,Create one big repository that includes all backups?

It recommended to use one local repository + one or several offsite repositories for the better reliability.
In the thread above lots of relevant information. Please review. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 407 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi Geoff,

I would recommend creating at least one repository on-site and the secondary target in the offsite location for DR protection. Single repository hosting all backup files should work fine. The questions you ask would be more applicable to the backup jobs configuration, for which we do recommend to group VMs based on the guest OS, SLAs etc.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1117 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby danswartz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:43 pm

"I can't see why a disk that get intensive writes during backups should have an higher failure rate due to intensives reads in case of array rebuild..."

No-one said failure due to write, it could be a drive failing due to intensive reads during rebuild. Either way, you're dead in the water, no? As far as raid6 write penalty, if you have write-back cache with BBU/flash, write penalty should not be significant?
danswartz
Expert

Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Veeam Logoby bilderg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks for the responses all! A few more quick questions...

Is there a recommended LUN size for the repository? I have created a 2TB GPT LUN, is there a recommended, or best practices, for block size?
bilderg
Novice

Full Name: Geoff Bilder

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Usually for LAN backup repositories it`s recommended to use 512 KB block size.
It provides a better deduplication ratio and reduces the size of a backup file because of reduced data block sizes. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 407 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:24 am

Wait, are we talking LUN block size or file system block size???
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1342 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

[MERGED] Underlying hardware

Veeam Logoby Mirija » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 am

Hi,

Is there a recommended storage type or vendor to use with veeam?
What is best practices?

thanks.
Mirija
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Aina Mirija

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:58 am

Aina, please review the thread above for some initial information. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1094 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby ryanp » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Can someone clear up some confusion I'm having with this setup... I've tried to search, but was unable to find what I'm looking for.

Would the physical server with the storage just be the repository, and Veeam installed on a VM?

Or Would Veeam be installed on the physical server with the storage?

I'm just wondering about the transport mode, which would be faster.

thanks!
ryanp
Service Provider

Full Name: Ryan Prasanphanich

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication