Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CJPalmer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Charles Palmer

Recommendations requested

Post by CJPalmer »

I am looking at options to move my backup data out of my data center. We currently have a Repository server at our physical DR site with a 90TB destination that is mostly full with only about a years worth of backups. That site is going away in the near future as we are looking to move it into the cloud. Looking at my options, it appears that the VTL on AWS is a primary option for us. We are not looking at a 3rd party vendor for Cloud Connect at this time. It appears to archive to Azure, I would need to setup a VM with a large storage allotment and set it up as a repository server (like our current DR site).

Are their other options that I have missed? Either AWS or Azure will work for me as we have a presence on both.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recommendations requested

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Charles.

Speaking about AWS and Amazon Gateway VTL - VM inside Amazon is not required as VTL ships emulated tape media directly to S3 (with possible further archival to Glacier). You could also use AWS Snowball to migrate these backup files to AMS, this might be extremely handy if your are looks for an option to keep the backup files for archival purposes. Hope it helps!