Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3517 times

Re: ReFS 3.0 and Dedup

Post by Gostev » Jun 25, 2019 8:26 pm

matt.burnette wrote:
Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm
How is it possible that these do not conflict with one another
Well, all we know for sure is that Microsoft has made the specific changes in ReFS in Server 2019 to make block cloning compatible with ReFS deduplication. If you have any concerns about the design or supportability of this functionality by Microsoft, it is best to place a query directly with them. Because not having access to the design documentation or source code, it is naturally impossible for anyone here to explain how exactly these technologies are able to work along one another.
matt.burnette wrote:
Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm
Is there any Veeam guidance on how they are testing it or what the best practices might be to enable this?
There's no guidance from Veeam yet. This is why we called it "experimental support", where we just put the new feature that is dependent on a 3rd party technology out there in hands of enthusiasts, specifically to develop best practices based on real-world environments and experiences.

oscaru
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Oscar Suarez

Post by oscaru » Jul 10, 2019 4:53 am

sege wrote:
May 29, 2019 8:00 am
As I understand the reg-key is to be set at the backup server, not the backup repo?
My case is that I have a Win2016 backup server and the repo server is a 2019 with ReFS.

Will that work?
I have the same case, and it doesn't seem to be working. Synthetics don't do fast clone, and takes forever on transformation.

ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 31 times

Post by ferrus » Aug 13, 2019 10:50 am

Can anyone at Veeam, or end users who have tried it recently - give an update on this?
I'm considering migrating our Veeam repositories to 2019, and was wondering about the state of deduplication on ReFS, and fact clone.

There appear to be several threads on here, some with positive reports, some negative.

DonZoomik
Expert
Liked: 32 times

Post by DonZoomik » Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm

It's the same. I have one server with ReFS deduplication and it actually seems slower than NTFS due to some ReFS integration specifics (at least while using forever incremental).

karsayor
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philippe Marro

Post by karsayor » Sep 25, 2019 12:35 pm

I am also very interested by this combination of features, any further testing has been done about it ?

robertpet
Lurker

Post by robertpet » Oct 01, 2019 11:26 am

Running ReFS + deduplication + fastclone results in really slow fastclone unless you modify your optimization job to run after the synthetic full is created.
jorgedlcruz wrote:
Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm
Hi guys,
But that will be expected I will say isn't? To obtain the best possible performance, at a logical level really, you will need to use the usual ReFS for your synthetic, might be weekly or so, and then once you know your synthetic file is created, that is the file you want to apply dedupe.

So, look at your Windows Deduplication schedule and make sure you are not doing dedupe on the files of the open chain which will be used to create the synthetic, as if you do the server will need to dedupe all that files before do the ReFS, which will end in that long time to do the fast-clone.
We have multiple repositories, most of them with ReFS + deduplication. Synthetic Fulls take days to complete. Space savings are great, savings around 100-150% (Capacity 40TB, Used Space 79,4TB; Capacity 64TB, Used Space 165TB)

The ones that are not deduplicated runs much faster and space savings are around 40%

So my recommendation is to stick use ReFS without enabling windows deduplication if you want your synthetic fulls to complete. If you have a schedule where you only make backups on weekdays, you could probably enable deduplication and run the synthetic full on fridays, and hopefully it will be done until monday

karsayor
Novice
Full Name: Philippe Marro

Post by karsayor » Oct 01, 2019 1:44 pm

thanks robertpet for the feedback. Did you try activating experimental support for block cloning on deduplicated files for Windows Server 2019 ReFS ? The ReFSDedupeBlockClone (DWORD) registry value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication

robertpet
Lurker

Post by robertpet » Oct 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Yes I did, that is a requirement for fastclone to be enabled on ReFS

dejan.ilic@liu.se
Novice
Full Name: Dejan Ilic

Post by dejan.ilic@liu.se » Oct 08, 2019 7:24 am

Yes, the ReFSDedupeBlockClone registry value is set on the B&R server but not on the repositories and we see "fast clone" message when synthetic full are run.
Does the registry value need to be set on all the servers?

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 487 times

Post by HannesK » Oct 08, 2019 7:41 am

to answer your question: please read the 3rd answer veeam-backup-replication-f2/refs-3-0-an ... ml#p312844

It seems everything works fine as you can see "fast clone" message.