ReFS 3.1 goodies and Scale Out Repositories

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: ReFS 3.1 goodies and Scale Out Repositories

Veeam Logoby DaStivi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:33 am

my first tests with windows dynamic spanned disks looks very promising... i did a couple of job runs now.. and had 2 syn fulls now... Veeam showed them as fast clone and i can see 3 "full" vbks that exceed the total amount of space available!

DaStivi
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Spanned volumes should be indeed completely transparent to ReFS. I've not heard about any limit of warning from Microsoft, so it should be supported. But maybe other microsoft guys may comment on it better.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1386 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 pm

DaStivi wrote:and what about sobr and the policies, hows Veeam behaving when one extend is getting full on disk space, is Veeam dooing a new full on the next extend and then utilize the refs goodies again on next incr. backup?

SOBR is also transparent to ReFS in this sense, the only limitation is where you need to perform full after evacuation to ReFS volume to start getting ReFS benefits (will be addressed in future).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby DaStivi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:51 pm

gostev wrotes on 1st page that fastclone is not used in sobr extends... and i would totalyunderstand that, as block clone api is a refs filesystem feature and the refs filesystem does not know about the extend in veeam..... instead in windows dynamic discs, refs indeed know about all the blocks, as its basically one filesystem that can manage every block on wathever volume its expanded too...

the question initially was, when using sobr and either "data locality" or "performance" sobr-policy how refs block clone (fast clone) is used... when using data locality everything is written to the first extend, and synfulls are using fast clone, but what happens when the next extend is added/used... how does ah synfull than work? still using fast clone (i guess not, and thats also whats written on the first page), so that means a "non-fastclone" synfull.vbk is written to the new extend and after that the the next synfull would be fastclone again... thats exactly what the users/admins don't want...

in my example i present NetApp LUNs to my Veeam Server, and the max LUN sitze is 16TB.... so i have to have a way to extend the refs volume without loosing, or doing duplicated fulls, as these fulls again take 5TB space! and i would loose 1/3 of the size from the new store instantly again!
DaStivi
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:53 pm

I didn't say it works between the extents, just confirmed your statement that it works within a single volume only. So the below quote is true:
DaStivi wrote:so that means a "non-fastclone" synfull.vbk is written to the new extend and after that the the next synfull would be fastclone again...
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication