REFS 4k horror story

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] New Server ReFS, i need an answer?

Veeam Logoby smid1584 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:39 am

Hello,

got a new backup server with 64 GB RAM, local disks and about 60 TB of space, windows server 2016.
I read a lot of bad things about ReFS, are these problems fixed now from MS and Veeam?
What are the recommended settings for ReFS? Format the partition as 64k ? What to do else?
smid1584
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Smic dias

Re: REFS 4k horror story

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Hello Smic, yes, 64k seems like a recommended value. Please review the latest 2 pages for more info on the current state with ReFS issues.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 pm

mkretzer wrote:We had it on FC. Does anyone have the same performance issues on non-ISCSI and non-FC disks?

FC here as well, although we're running ok now with just a slower merge than I'd like compared to what it was to start with
DaveWatkins
Expert

Liked: 68 times

Veeam Logoby nhwanderer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 pm

I just looked up 1709, and problem fixed or not, it appears you need software assurance to gain access to it as a semi-annual build, so the back port is important to those of us without software assurance.

I'm just setting up and agonizing over my first VEEAM environment (moving from home grown backups). I'm going to give ReFS a shot and back off real real quick if it causes us trouble. I was kinda relying on it for efficient GFS retention.

nmdange wrote:The phrase "backported" says to me the fix is part of the next build (1709) which will be out in the next few weeks. I definitely plan on testing backups on the new build, but I haven't really had the same issues other ppl have had. Anyone who's been having problems willing to try out the new release?
nhwanderer
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Jordan Desroches

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication