Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nyxpdx
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Schumacher

ReFS... Storage Spaces auto repair worth it?

Post by nyxpdx »

I may have just answered my own question while thinking about how to ask it, but I'll throw it up here anyway just to see what ya'll have to say. :)

Here's the scenario: I've repurposed some older Dell hardware to act as our Veeam backup server and added 6 drives for storage and had planned on setting them up as a hardware RAID 10, then formatting the volume as ReFS and use that as the repository target. Then I noticed here (https://www.veeam.com/blog/advanced-ref ... suite.html) under Data Integrity Streams they also mention that if you're using Storage Spaces the "proactive error-correction functionality will automatically and seamlessly fix corrupted backup file blocks".

My question is, after reading that, I'm wondering if it might be a better idea to create 2 RAID 0's on the hardware controller, then use storage spaces to mirror them in order to take advantage of the auto error correction, or am I just overthinking it? The downside is this would in effect be a RAID 01 instead of a RAID 10 and that I would lose some redundancy... then again, it's not primary data, it's a backup.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: ReFS... Storage Spaces auto repair worth it?

Post by Gostev »

Actually, Storage Spaces do not support RAID at all (or anything else that abstracts disks for that matter). They require direct access to the hard drives.
nyxpdx
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Schumacher

Post by nyxpdx »

Hmmm... I've heard that combining hardware and software RAID isn't recommended (or technically supported most likely), but I don't see how it could be prevented from setting it up this way. The OS would just see each RAID as one disk anyway, just as the RAID 10 would show up as a single disk... but after a little research, it looks like it is pretty picky. Some people seem to have gotten it to work by forcing it to use alternate media types so it doesn't see the LUN's or whatever, but still seems dicey, so let's take the HW RAID 0 out and pose this alternative option instead...

If it was between full HW RAID 10 and Simple ReFS volume and using JBOD to create a Mirror+Stripe scenario fully in Storage Spaces, which way would you go?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

Hard to say. On one hand, Storage Spaces is still fairly new technology in active development... on the other hand, its benefits are pretty huge as it comes to backup storage specifically.