Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

ReFS vs XFS vs both

Post by dasfliege »

I am in the process of designing the new backup infrastrucuture for our new datacenter.
Our current solution is running quite nicely and stable since we worked around the issues caused by the ReFS bug in 2019 by using Windows Server SAC releases only: veeam-backup-replication-f2/windows-201 ... 57726.html

Currently, we do primary backups to our ReFS on Windows Server 2019 SAC. We then have copy jobs, to copy the data to hardened XFS repos.

I wanted to ask, if someone has an actual Windows Server Version (2022) LTSC build running without problems on synthetic operations with repositories well beyond 500TB. If this is working fine now, i probably continue to have a mix of ReFS and XFS, just because i like to have two different vendors/technologies, in case one of them has problems like back in 2019.
What are your experiences with pretty big repos using ReFS or XFS? Do you see massive advantages in one of those technologies, or do you also prefer to use both?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: ReFS vs XFS vs both

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

We never observed any technical issues with XFS, regardless of the repo size.

For ReFS, it has been real quiet in Support for quite some time now... feels like we're already talking years? So I can only assume it is passed teething issues finally. So you could use both if you want, given your reasoning.