Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Keishirou
Novice
Liked: never

Regarding Backup Copy Job

Post by Keishirou »

Hello all,

Wanted to see if anyone knows if Backup Copy Job does anything special regards to getting a seed as opposed to just copying over a full backup file and using that as a seed?
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Regarding Backup Copy Job

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

There is not automatic seeding for backup copy job. So, you need to do that manually before proceeding with mapping.

And yes, you need to simply copy full backup to target repository.

Check this KB article for more information regarding that.

Thanks!
Keishirou
Novice

Post by Keishirou »

Okay so, If I'm doing this correctly, I would have a backup storage on site, create the backup copy job on site and use that backup storage as the repository.

Once finished I would have that backup storage send to an offsite facility and then I can create a backup copy job at the offsite facility using VEEAM and pointing it back over to the previous site to sync?

Thank you for the quick response, much appreciated.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz » 1 person likes this post

@Keishirou - Yes. I did that when I initially seeded backup for that exact scenario.

Side note: one thing I have noticed is that when using ReFS, sometimes it is not possible to move the backups because of the fast clone pointers and the space savings they give (which are not immediately obvious). I have a 20TB array for example that is storing like 80TB worth of data. When I tried to move backups, it moves the full size, which is way bigger than I might have on hand. e.g. If i have a replacement storage unit (but can't migrate the disks for some reason) I don't know how I am supposed to move the backup. Note I am not talking about deduplication, I don't have that enabled at the volume level.

I don't know if this can really be worked around, but it makes some of the guidance from veeam not really possible unless you have a large amount of extra storage resources (I had to give up my backup chain because I could not move the backups, due to having enough space, even though the new repo was larger than the original one). I use a backup copy job, but it only seems to run off new backups, so my existing retention was not copied over.
Keishirou
Novice

Post by Keishirou »

Sounds good, thank you!