Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bschmidt25
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bryan Schmidt

Removing/Migrating SQL Databases - Correct Method?

Post by bschmidt25 »

We are in the process of migrating our existing SQL databases to new servers. The new environment uses Always-On Availability Groups. The old environment is just standalone servers with a variety of versions (anything from 2008 to 2014). We are running transaction log backups every 15 minutes in both environments. When migrating the database, our DBA is unmounting the database from the old, copying it to the new, and mounting it there. This causes errors on both transaction log backup jobs as the new one doesn't have a full backup to tie them to and the old is complaining because the object no longer exists. Sometimes running an out of cycle job (not an active full) will fix it, but sometimes we have to run an active full. Obviously, this is chewing up a lot of disk space right now as we have literally hundreds of databases to move.

What is the correct method to remove the SQL database from an existing server and add it to a new one and have Veeam recognize the change on both jobs? Would disabling the job so the transaction log backup stops running make a difference? (I'm not sure if he is doing this or not, but he has access to Veeam). I just want to relay the correct process to my DBA so we can avoid these issues. Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Removing/Migrating SQL Databases - Correct Method?

Post by foggy »

Bryan, transaction logs for the newly attached database should be collected after any backup job cycle, either incremental or full. If you feel this is not the case, I suggest investigating these occurrences with the help of our support team.