Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
singy2002
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

Replica restore

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,

I am in the process of doing a failover test and am a little confused as to the correct procedure for restoring a VM.

Our setups is 2 ESX hosts on a primary site, 1 ESX host on the DR site, these are connected by a fibre link. I am replicating 2 VM's to my DR site and keeping 10 rollback points for each.

In the event of site one being lost (Total loss - fire etc) My Physical Veeam server is at the DR site (is this a good/bad idea?) If i attempt to do a failover from the wizard I can see the Server and all my rollback points, however when i attempt to failover to it, I get an error about the Virtual Center server being unavailable, this makes sense since it no longer exists and failover fails.

How do i perform the failover if the VC is unavailable?

I have tested just powering on the VM's from a client and they come up fine, but they come up on the latest version (no options for a rollback point)

I though maybe I had to import the backups, but this kicks out an error "Unsupported storage version: [1766072355]"

Could anyone explain the correct procedure for this or is the VCenter server required in order to use a rollback option?

Regards
Andy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Replica restore

Post by Gostev »

Hi Andy, yes failover through Veeam Backup UI requires that vCenter server is up - so you need to start it first.
singy2002
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

Post by singy2002 »

Thanks for the response.

So without the VCenter only the latest backup point can be restored?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct, assuming you are talking about replica (you mention backup point), but if you were using vCenter to define your job, then failover can only happen with vCenter present.

vCenter presence is obviously not necessary if you defined your replication job with source and target ESX added to Veeam Backup as standalone hosts. But with that way of configuring jobs, Veeam Backup looses VMotion support on source VMs.