Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FCa
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Fabien C.

Replication Feature Request : Add "gracefully stop" in the ReplicationJob Backup Window setting

Post by FCa »

Hello,

We're performing, from 8am to 8pm a continous replication for 1 of our VM.
In order to backup this replica (this is a critical server, we can't backup the prod one), we've set some Backup Windows to terminate the ReplicationJob before the backupJob starts.

The backupJob starts @10pm, so the replicationJob could stop gracefully even if the exceed the backup windows (each replication is about 3mn only).

Results : The last replicationJob have a FAILED Status (Error: Job was stopped due to backup window setting).
That's quite logic and that's not really a pb (except that we don't like to have failed or warning Results in our daily check :o )

The more problematic consequence is that, when the replication restart in the morning, we have continously this message on the first replication :
"Cannot find dirty block information in the previous restore point, CBT will not be used"
The 1srt replication take ages to perform due to huge Data to transfert.

I think this message is link to the last failed status. If we could have the choice to stop it gracefully (and perhaps add an immediatly option if it exceeds a certain amount of time) it could be great.

Regards.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Replication Feature Request : Add "gracefully stop" in the ReplicationJob Backup Window setting

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for a continuous replication, the request makes sense to me.

The problem you see every morning with "no CBT" is because you do backup from a replica. The backup of the replica also cannot use CBT. That means the configuration makes everything (replication and backup) slower than necessary.

If you can continuous replication (with broken CBT each morning), then I see technically no reason why you don't backup from the production VM directly. I recommend to use the product as it is designed :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
FCa
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Fabien C.

Re: Replication Feature Request : Add "gracefully stop" in the ReplicationJob Backup Window setting

Post by FCa »

That last comment seems legit !!!