Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jeff8247
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff S

Replication job issue

Post by Jeff8247 »

Hi Guys,

I am trialing the Backup & Replication software at current. We have created 2 replication jobs of which one works fine however the 2nd job is having issues.

The error we are receiving is
"Retrieving VM disks information...
Failed to analize file names. Descriptor "citrix.X.com.vmdk", extent "STHCITRIXGW1-flat.vmdk""

I inherited this VM from our service providers in which they only supplied me with the flat VMDK file. I then just built up a new VM and added this VMDK manually in which i renamed the VMDK file to "citrix.X.com.vmdk" which i think is the problem. Are there any easy fixes for this guys or has anyone seen this issue before?

Regards,

Jeff
mbiesheuvel
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michel Biesheuvel

Re: Replication job issue

Post by mbiesheuvel »

I have exactly the same problem with 1 VM. VCB San backup is going fine but vStorage api is not. Only i did not change the name of the files. So it must be something else thats causing this... But what!?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jeff and Michel,

Please send us job logs from Help->Support information to support@veeam.com, so we could assist you with resolving that issue.
Jeff8247
Novice
Full Name: Jeff S

Post by Jeff8247 »

Guys,

I fixed the issue. All i did was clone the VM with a different name to the exact same ESXi server it was on (same storage etc). After it rebuilt the VM with all new names and VMX config files i re-created the job and it worked fine.
chimera
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Post by chimera »

I fixed the issue. All i did was clone the VM with a different name to the exact same ESXi server it was on (same storage etc). After it rebuilt the VM with all new names and VMX config files i re-created the job and it worked fine.
Which would be fine if you have reasonably small VM's or plenty of SAN space available... !

Im having the same problem, VM is several hundred gig in size.

Is there any known solution for this? If the fix you've mentioned above has solved, must be something Veeam is reading from the config files that corrupt?
chimera
Enthusiast

Post by chimera »

Oh,... and in my case this is a backup job, not a replication job. Additionally, the actual disk that its complaining about isn't even included in the backup list, only disks 0:1, 0:2 and 0:3 are selected for backup. These first 3 disks are on the datastore1, the one thats failing is on datastore2.

Retrieving VM disks information...
Disk "[datastore2] server1/server1_4.vmdk" has been skipped

Failed to analize file names. Descriptor "server1_4.vmdk", extent "server1_4-flat.vmdk"

Any ideas??? Client has not had a backup of this server for several days now because of this issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well, it seems like there is an issue with the disk descriptor file in the VM configuration, please contact our support team directly for assistance. They will need full log from Help | Support Information.
chimera
Enthusiast

Post by chimera »

My colleague has sent files onto the support team. Can't see it being a VMWare issue, as backups work when testing with vRanger.
JWeier
Lurker
Full Name: Jay Weier

Post by JWeier »

I had this same issue and was able to solve by problem by re-creating the VMX file. I simply created a new VM with the same specs as the VM that was failing (vCPUs, Memory, etc) and then I pointed it to the original VMDK. As soon as I did this it backed up perfectly.