Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Wocka
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Warwick Ferguson

Replication Job - Split Disks LUN Size issue

Post by Wocka »

Hello,

I need to replicate servers to a new DataCentre. I am going to seed them across our 1GB WAN.
I have been able to do the smaller servers via migration "VM Copy" jobs, this has been for servers with less than 400GB.

The issue I have, is that I now have 3 Windows 2008R2 servers that are 2.4TB, 1.6TB and 1.2TB in size.
On the current VMWare infrastructure I have the servers spread across multiple LUNS.

For instance my 2.4TB server has 11 Virtual Disks on a HP P2000 SAN.
My new data centre has 2TB LUNS (NetApp) before de-duplication. Based on my current migrations so far from my "VM Copy", it would take approximately 41Hours to replicate the 2.4TG server via a "VM Copy" Job. This would be too much of an outage for the business to handle.

How do I replicate a 2.4TB server over 11 Disks to a new SAN with only 2TB disks (some data has already been consumed).
If I was to create 11 replication jobs (1 for each disk), I can control which LUN it replicates the current disk to in the new DataCentre. But the .vmx file will be all wrong.
Is this my only option and I'd have to manually edit the .vmx file? Is there an easy way to edit the .vmx file and validate it before booting the server?

My other thought is to:
1) Replicate the server by individual "Replication Jobs", making note of the disks to LUN mapping
2) Create a new "dummy server" with the exact same spec (Win2k8R2,10GB RAM, 11 Disks) but only create 11 x 1 GB Disks in the same LUNS as the replicated server above
eg:
Disk1 = 400GB/LUN_1 == NewDisk1 = 1GB/LUN_1
Disk2 = 800GB/LUN_2 == NewDisk2 = 1GB/LUN_2
Disk3 = 250GB/LUN_3 == NewDisk3 = 1GB/LUN_3
Disk4 = 100GB/LUN_4 == NewDisk4 = 1GB/LUN_4
Disk5 = 80GB/LUN_4 == NewDisk5 = 1GB/LUN_5
Disk6 = 600GB/LUN_6 == NewDisk6 = 1GB/LUN_6
Disk7 = 380GB/LUN_7 == NewDisk7 = 1GB/LUN_7
Disk8 = 400GB/LUN_8 == NewDisk8 = 1GB/LUN_8
Disk9 = 300GB/LUN_9 == NewDisk9 = 1GB/LUN_1
Disk10 = 800GB/LUN_10 == NewDisk10 = 1GB/LUN_2
Disk11 = 50GB/LUN_8 == NewDisk11 = 1GB/LUN_3

3) Grab the .vmx from the "dummy server" and place it onto the "live" server when I need to boot it.
Would this be an option, or am I over complicating this?

Regards
Warwick.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Replication Job - Split Disks LUN Size issue

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If understood everything right, you should use Pick datastore for selected virtual disks option. That will allow you to specify datastores to place disks to.

Thank you
Wocka
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Warwick Ferguson

Re: Replication Job - Split Disks LUN Size issue

Post by Wocka » 1 person likes this post

Hello PTide,

This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you.
I knew Veeam would think of everything.