Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
K12TechInME
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Hamlen

Replication Job

Post by K12TechInME »

We have replicated one SQL server from ESX4 - ESX5 cluster. SQL is running databases for both Vcenters if the replication job is setup for host to host instead of Vcenter access will the job fail? The replicas that are ready list the servers ip as the original location. The replica location is Vcenterserver\ESX host. What's the best practice regarding this type of job? Support wants me to run the job I'm trying to find out if the planned failover will work ahead of time. Thanks to all.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication Job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Aaron,
K12TechInME wrote:SQL is running databases for both Vcenters if the replication job is setup for host to host instead of Vcenter access will the job fail?
Job configuration doesn't matter here, both configurations would work - using standalone ESXi host connection and vCenter Server. BTW, what version of Veeam B&R are you at?
K12TechInME wrote:The replicas that are ready list the servers ip as the original location. The replica location is Vcenterserver\ESX host. What's the best practice regarding this type of job?
Best practice would be to use vCenter Server connection whenever possible, so that in any vMotion operation you jobs would continue running as there were.
K12TechInME wrote:Support wants me to run the job I'm trying to find out if the planned failover will work ahead of time.
If you want to migrate the VM to the new host, then please review this thread for more details > Hyper-V VM Permanent Failover (it talks about Hyper-V, but the behavior is also applicable for vSphere).

Thanks!