OK, so it looks like in a pinch you could use symbolic links with Veeam replication to replicate to two different datastores. I just tested this using a Windows 2003 VM, will call it "TESTVM", with two VMDK disks, a 20GB C: Drive, and a 50GB D: Drive that was replicated to our remote site with Veeam. When I started the entire VM was on a single VMFS datastore which we'll call DATASTORE1. I logged in to the replication target host (a full ESX 4 host) and simply use the 'mv' command to move the the VMDK file that hosted the C: drive to another VMFS datastore, DATASTORE2 using these steps:
First I created a directory on DATASTORE2 with the same name/path as Veeam was using on DATASTORE1.
- Code: Select all
# ls -l /vmfs/volumes/DATASTORE1/VeeamBackup/
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2520 Feb 4 13:14 TESTVM(vm-12118)
# mkdir -p "/vmfs/volumes/DATASTORE2/VeeamBackup/TESTVM(vm-12118)
I did this more for consistency than anything as I suspect you could put the file anywhere.
Second, I moved the VMDK from DATASTORE1 to DATASTORE2 and created a symbolic link:
- Code: Select all
# cd "/vmfs/volumes/DATASTORE1/VeeamBackup/TESTVM(vm-12118)"
# mv TESTVM-flat.vmdk "/vmfs/volumes/DATASTORE2/VeeamBackup/TESTVM(vm-12118)/."
# ln -s "/vmfs/volumes/DATASTORE2/VeeamBackup/TESTVM(vm-12118)/TESTVM-flat.vmdk"
That's really it. I ran a replication and it worked, the vbr is still created on DATASTORE1, the TESTVM-flat.vmdk is updated on DATASTORE2, and the TESTVM_1-flat.vmdk, which I left on DATASTORE1, still get's updated as well. I preformed a test failover and the snapshots work (both created on DATASTORE1) the VM powers up, and both drives are accessible. Reverted the failover, and ran another replication, everything was good.
Admittedly in this case the initial replication still had to fit on a single datastore, I'm not sure what you would have to do to preform the initial replication to two or more datastores (for example if you didn't have enough space on a single datastore to hold the VM). My guess is you could start a replication, then abort it, move the VMDK files you need to another datastore, create the symbolic links, and restart the replication to finish, but I'm not 100% sure this would work. You could also preform the initial replication using the "removable storage" option and then you can put the VMDK's wherever you want on the target side.
Anyway, this was just something I tried just to play with it. It seems to work, but I'm sure it's not supported by Veeam, and I certainly don't support it, so if you try it, and it breaks your system, you get to keep the pieces.