Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ZachRo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roman Zach

Replication SQL Server

Post by ZachRo »

Dear all,

we are using Veeam Backup&Replication for standby replication from one Hyper-V host to a second one - so our virtual maschines are replicated every 4 hours to the standby hypervisior.
now we wanted to test some restore scenarios and ran into some troubles on our SQL server.

At the replication job the "Guest Processing" is enabled and set to copy only.

"Real Backup" (full and log) is done directly by SQL maintenance plan (daily full, hourly log).

now we tested the function "Restore Database" in SQL management studio and when i want to restore via Timeline the last checkpoint is the last Copy-Only full backup of veeam and not the full backup of the maintenace plan. so i cannot restore.

is there a way to disable the checkpoint creation for veeam copy-only backup? as i understood, copy-only backups should not "destory" the log backup chain.

you can see - the marked one is the full backup of maintenance plan - then 2 correct log backups. but then there is the veeam backup (copy only - next screenshot). the database_backup_lsn is correct, but the checkpoint_lsn is set to the last veeam backup, which should be the last full backup.

When i try to use the timeline - the last veeam backup is taken (except i want to restore directly after maintenance full backup)

i hope you understand my problem and can help me :=)

best regards
Roman Zach
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication SQL Server

Post by foggy »

Hi Roman, this type of setup (Veeam B&R replication between native backups with log shipping) works in our lab and logs chain doesn't break. You can check if the backup is performed correctly by looking into the Msdb.dbo.backupset table where the is_copy_only should be set. If it is there, then this would mean Veeam B&R performs it's task correctly and the fact why SQL Management Studio doesn't allow to restore should be investigated. For example, you can try to perform copy only backup with Management Studio and see whether "the last checkpoint is the last Copy-Only full backup" in this case as well.
ZachRo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roman Zach

Re: Replication SQL Server

Post by ZachRo » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

thanks for your response. for testing i have taken a Full Backup via SSMS with the copy only active - i took a look on the msdb.dbo.backupset table

as you can see - the checkpoint_lsn is changed after copy only full backup via SSMS (marked line).

this shows me, that my SQL server is setting my checkpoint_lsn to the last COPY-ONLY backup.

for now i think i should troubleshoot the SQL server itself...