Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Repository for Backup Copy Job

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Hello,
I am about to configure my first Backup Copy job and need insight. A Veeam Backup & Replication server at a remote office will be used to back up two physical servers at that office. I want to run Backup Copy to copy the backup to a repository here at our main headquarters. I've already created the VM to host the Backup Copy target repository and added a NetApp LUN. How do I actually configure the Backup Copy target repository in this scenario? Here are three ways I'm considering but I'm not sure which is best, or even if all three are possible.
  • Install the Backup Copy target repository from the Veeam B&R server at the remote site (might be slow).
  • Install the Veeam B&R console locally on the Backup Copy target repository server, connect to the Veeam B&R instance at the remote office, and install the repository on the Backup Copy target server (might be faster but not sure).
  • Install full-blown Veeam B&R locally on the Backup Copy target server and install the repository.
Again, would like some guidance on which is the best / preferred approach, or if there's another option I'm missing. Thank in advance!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Repository for Backup Copy Job

Post by jmmarton »

Why do you have a second VBR server? A single server at the main site can manage everything. It can deploy the agent to the physical servers at the remote site, you can add the remote repo in, and then configuring the BCJ will be simple.

Joe
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Re: Repository for Backup Copy Job

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply. I made the design decision to have a Veeam B&R server at each remote site we deploy Veeam to. This is due to occasional connectivity issues between offices. I don't want an office to have missed backups just because they can't connect to our office for a couple of hours. Same thing for restores - I don't want to put them in a situation where they can't restore a file on their local network just because they can't connect to ours.

As noted, my plan is to set up a repository here at our main headquarters to serve as DR for these remote sites. It will receive a copy of whatever Veeam backups we do at these sites. I just want to configure it in the most efficient way.