Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

repository partition

Post by mporliod »

Hello everyone, I wanted some advice, I have a primary repository of veeam, a physical server with disks on board and the windows server std operating system.
The repository disk has been divided into 3 partitions rep1 (20TB ntfs), rep2 (15TB Refs) and rep3 (15TB ReFS).
These 3 partitions are seen as 3 logical repositories.
I have two copyBackup jobs that use one the rep2 repository and the other the rep3 repository.
My problem that the repositories rep2 and rep 3 are almost full I would like to use somehow for these two copyjobs the repository rep1 which is empty.
What do you think is the best solution?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: repository partition

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you cannot preserve block cloning on NTFS, that sounds like a classic move operation described in https://www.veeam.com/kb1729

Best regards,
Hannes
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod » 1 person likes this post

however, if I move the data under the ReFS volume to another repository, I move the real space that is not the reduced one thanks to the fastclone feature.
real ?
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Yes, the ReFS volume move will decompress (inflate) the backups to the actual size to move them over. Not until v12 comes does the space savings stay with the VeeaMover utility.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

So it is confirmed that there will be this function, is there already a procedure that describes this function in detail?
In your opinion from the bandwidth point of view if I move this data with the new functionality I move the real data and then they are deduplicated/compressed.
I need this to understand how much bandwidth I will occupy in migrating data between the two repositories.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

yes, moving data between different repository types while preserving block cloning is a V12 feature. The move is "per job" with "right-click". Or you just point the job to a new repository and then the wizard asks whether you want to move the files, or start a new backup chain.

Please keep in mind, that NTFS has no block cloning. So the whole space saving is only relevant for REFS and XFS (well, and object storage, but that's different technology)
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

Everything you wrote is clear to me but at the bandwidth network level, the amount of data that I move, I repeat at the network level, is the real one or the deduplicated/compressed one thanks to the fast clones, I mean before it is written to the new repository .
I don't know if I can explain myself.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

sorry, yes, only "deduplicated" data will be transferred. there is no "inflation" on source and "block cloning" on destination.
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

In the first phase before migrating to the repository I would like to migrate veeam to the new physical server while keeping the repository on the old physical server.
So then I would proceed to upgrade to version 12 which allows me with the new features to migrate volumes in Refs without losing the benefits of fast clone.
If I migrate veeam to the new server, will I lose the pointers to the repositories located on the old physical server?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

hmm, not sure I understood the plan. The "backup server" (management server) can be migrated everywhere. The repository is a separate role, that can stay wherever you like. once you are on V12, you can migrate the repository data.