Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Repository security multiple customers

Post by frankive »

I am planning to use our VCP license on a few customer sites. I have a site-to-site vpn with the customers.
I am planning to install veeam locally on each site and then use backup copy to send the customers data to our backup server in our datacenter.
I have a few questions:
1. Does the Veeam server with Wan Accelearator support multiple jobs at time? With some customer I would guess they would send data at the same time often (they have the same backup window)
2. How can i "secure" the remote repository (our datacenter) so that other customer can't connect to the other repositories I create for each customer? I can't see there is a username/password to add a remote repository?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Repository security multiple customers

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Frank,

1. If you're referring to target accelerator then yes, it can work with multiple sources at the same time. Here is an existing topic for further details > WAN accelerator setup
2. Do you plan to share the same repository for all your clients? If you create a dedicated repository for each client using the installation on each site, this repository/folder will be visible only to the backup console where you create the repository.

Thanks!
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

I will create a local repository on the customers site like a traditional setup.
Then I want to create a backup copy job to our datacenter. I guess I then have to create a repository in our datacenter so that the backup copy jobs can connect to these repository.
But I can't see how I can create a repository just for customer a. In my labs Customer B can also connect to the repository to the customer A..

Hope I make myself understood :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

frankive wrote:But I can't see how I can create a repository just for customer a. In my labs Customer B can also connect to the repository to the customer A..
How do you expose these repositories to your customers? If you use separate backup consoles in each site, then it shouldn't be a problem, each console will have its own repository server visible in the backup console.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

But i must be able to setup a remote repository to ship the backup copy job to? and this remote repository should be our datacenter?
How can i make sure that not multiple customer can connect to the same repository (in our datacenter) in the backup copy job part?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can set different NTFS permissions for the accounts used to create repositories in your datacenter. In this case your customers will see file folders in the "Files" tab of the backup console, but won't be able to browse them and delete/copy backup files.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Is this best practise setup for VCPs? I will then expose foldernames which probably is the customers folders?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To address this you can just deploy proxy servers in each site (customer site) and do not install Veeam B&R at all. All job management will be performed by you as a service provider.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Hm, sounds like a god approach and most secure. Bur then i wont be able to use the wan accelerator? I thought hat was meant for this kind of job, but then we would have to use a backup copying job, right?
Are there any whitepapers for VCPs for this deployments?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You can definitely use WAN Accelerators in this scenario still, backup server placement makes no difference. I am sure we have plenty of documentation, may be you should get in touch with some of our systems engineers or solution architect responsible for VCPs, sure enough they should have those handy.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive » 3 people like this post

Ah, it worked just like it should. Thanks for your suggestions!
site-2-site vpn, added the remote server as a windows server and installed proxy and wan accelerator and enabled a local proxy on the remote site. Setup a regular backup job on the remote site to its local repository. Then setup a backup copy job from the local repository (at customer site) to our local datacenter repository and enabled wan accelerator. Boom, everything work as expected :)
Great!

Tips! Add a 500Gb SSD to your server for extreme fast local backup. A full backup of a VM with 1,5TB took under an hour for full backup.. :)