Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
emk23
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric

Resource not ready: WAN Accelerator

Post by emk23 »

Something is wrong with the logic and method which Veeam is using to determine "availability of resources".

I have multiple backup copy jobs which will not start with the above error and all attempts to resolve (reboot, restart, resync) etc have achieved squat! :x

I intend to open a ticket tomorrow when in the office. But I am wondering if anyone else is having trouble with getting jobs to actually run because of this "error"?

I have tried looking at various logs and have not turned up the root cause. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot????

All of the servers are IDLE - and the software thinks that there are no resources!??!? :x

"WAN Accelerator" appears to be an unreliable feature of the v7. VERY DISAPPOINTED! Unlike the rest of the software, it does not "JUST WORK"

I also have a site, where the above error is not happening. But after multiple runs the initial full is not completely sent over to the target site. WHY is that??? Isnt the software supposed to detect when there is unsynced data, and resume those?????????????????????? :evil: :twisted:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6719 times

Re: Resource not ready: WAN Accelerator

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Eric, do you realize that WAN Accelerators process one disk at a time? Meaning, if some job is using it, other jobs will have to wait inline until that job has no pending tasks to process. Can you check to make sure this is the case?

Overall, we have not had any support cases around "unreliable" behavior of WAN Accelerator. There are some common questions are related to deployment best practices and sizing, especially on very fast WAN connections, but no real issues reported. In fact, the upcoming Patch 1 (that is meant to address all known issues reported through technical support to date) does not bring any fixes related to WAN Acceleration, so this is arguably the most stable part of this release. Moreover, we've been running WAN Acceleration jobs internally for a few months now with great success.

Of course, there is still a chance you've ran into some bug, so please open a support case so that we could investigate. The functionality is brand new, and of course the chance of it having bugs is higher than for any existing functionality. This is normal: software is written by humans, and we all make mistakes... I mean, show me at least one major vSphere or Windows release without a few critical bugs... What matters is how fast they are addressed by the vendor, and we are ready to work with you and resolve all issues in prompt manner.

Regarding your question on initial sync, it is normal for that to take a few days depending of the data size and available WAN bandwidth (this is why we recommend that you perform initial backup seeding whenever possible). However, this is not mandatory, it will work without the initial seed too. The full backup will eventually complete by transferring only deltas to already transferred data, and you do not need to do anything from your side, not even put large amounts of angry smileys and question marks in your posts ;)

Please, be sure to open a support case - the sooner you will do this, the sooner our technical staff will be able to confirm everything is running as expected in your environment. Without seeing the debug logs, we can only be guessing.

Thanks!
emk23
Influencer
Full Name: Eric

Post by emk23 »

I'll open a case.

It would be nice if the GUI said which resource is the issue so it was easier to pinpoint the problem. :cry:

Of the 3 sites I have already deployed, two seem to be working incorrectly. The first one is just "waiting" for the WAN accel for no apparent reason, and the second is just sitting idle, when there is unseeded data. That one actually gives and error code though. 9/22/2013 4:37:44 PM :: Error: Veeam RPC packet size too large (max size is 100 MB). --tr:Sync task '7d54dfab-b197-46e4-856d-4dff52a8567f' initialization failed.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Error: Veeam RPC packet size too large (max size is 100 MB)
Hi, Eric. I've just confirmed we haven’t had similar issues reported so far. Therefore, the sooner you open a ticket for this problem, the better. Thanks.
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 » 4 people like this post

Can only confirm that the WAN Accelerator works very stable. No issues so far. Sending almost a Terrabyte worth of data "down the pipe" every day (actual transferred data volume is less obviously).
i700plus
Lurker
Full Name: Sam

[MERGED]:Packet size too large - Copy Job

Post by i700plus »

Has anyone had similar errors appear when running copy jobs? We have three copy jobs setup and one keeps throwing this error:

Error: Veeam RPC packet size too large (max size is 100 MB). --tr:Sync task '78518e41-3fab-4d52-8081-2803c48d5c56' initialization failed.
Maximum retry count reached (5 out of 5)
Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval

We are copying four VM's and one keeps failing (ESXi 5.1 Vcenter 5.1).

Case#00456235