Restore entire VM without one drive

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Restore entire VM without one drive

Veeam Logoby omegagx » Tue May 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi
I need to restore a large file server into a virtual lab environment for testing. The file server is a VM that has 10 hard drives attached to it. I'd like to restore all of them except the large 2TB drive that doesn't fit in my lab environment. I don't see a way to uncheck that drive during the restore process. How do I do that?
Thank you.
omegagx
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Gorn

Re: Restore entire VM without one drive

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi Michael, you can use the restore VM disks option instead of the full VM restore. This will require manual VM registration, though.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue May 09, 2017 9:18 pm

On a side note, why not to use On-Demand Sandbox functionality that spins up the entire VM in the isolated lab and runs directly from the repository?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby omegagx » Tue May 09, 2017 9:21 pm

foggy wrote:Hi Michael, you can use the restore VM disks option instead of the full VM restore. This will require manual VM registration, though.

Using the option you linked to does NOT allow for the direct SAN restore, so we go from speeds of 560MB/sec to 11MB/sec using that option. Looks like it would be a great idea to add to the "Entire VM restore" an option to unselect some disks.
omegagx
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Gorn

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Yes, this would be a valid feature request. Meanwhile you can consider Vitaliy's suggestion, if applicable.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed May 10, 2017 3:49 am 1 person likes this post

Foggy linked to restore VM files, but I believe there is actually a better option, restore virtual disks:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

If you create a VM in your lab with 9 attached disks (they can be empty), then start the "Restore virtual sisks" wizard (not Restore VM files), you can then select the new "target" VM, and select and map each individual disk that you want to restore individually and it will still use any transport mode, including Direct SAN. Not quite as slick as if it were in the full VM restore screen, but not too bad.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1787 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication