Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hannisch
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sven Hannisch

Restore from Nimble Snapshot / vm with several lun

Post by hannisch »

Hi all,

I have a backup Job, where the backup repository is a Nimble Snapshot. We have some vm which are connected to several lun (e.g. Exchange 3 lun (System, log, db) The Job snapshots all 3 lun. In storage infrastructure I see all 3 luns and the Job triggered snapshots.
Until now is everything fine and works like it should.
But when I look into backup storage snapshots, only the snapshoted luns are shown, were the System drive and the vm configuration is stored.
When I try to do a guest file restore, maybe, the same luns are shown. When I select the lun with were our System drive (c) and the vm configuration is stored, only c is mounted.
The other lun´s belonging to the vm are not shown and not mounted.

b/r

Sven
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Re: Restore from Nimble Snapshot / vm with several lun

Post by dasfliege »

As far as my understanding goes, you aren't able to backup guest-attached LUNs with veeam. Even if you leverage backup from storage snapshots.
Maybe i misunderstood your problem, but i guess you should convert the LUN's to vDisks/VDMK and do a proper application-aware backup of the whole VM to be able to do proper guest-file restore. Especially for Exchange and SQL, it is essential, that you use appliation-aware backups.
In our environements, the "Storage Snapshots" only shows the Snapshots (and NOT Backups) that were triggered by the nimble itself, by their own schedule. These are crash-consistent and should never be considered as a proper backup!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore from Nimble Snapshot / vm with several lun

Post by foggy »

Hi Sven, this is a known limitation of the current version (Veeam B&R 9.5 U3a): VMs with virtual disk files located on different storage volumes are not supported during restore from storage snapshots. Please contact support to get U4 RTM build that removes this limitation.