Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

Restore is waiting for resources

Post by jmc »

hello all,

i have had the problem for a long time, actually since version 9 of veeam, that there are no more resources available for an important restore and the restore job has to wait. but this must not happen. a restore must - at least for me - always have priority over backups.

how can i tell the b&r that restores ALWAYS have top priority?

it does not make sense to increase the number of tasks, because the hardware also has limitations.

so far i had to terminate all jobs that used resources to release them.

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restore is waiting for resources

Post by Mildur »

Hi jmc

Restore always has the highest priority:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

What sort of jobs were running when you saw the "no resource available" message?
I just tested a restore of a Server in my lab. Proxy and Repository (object storage) both configured with 1 task. Backup was running and I could start a Guest OS File restore.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hello fabian,

yesterday for example some backup copy jobs and also some sobr jobs to wasabi were running. some of them also from the repository from where i had to do the restore. only after i stopped all jobs to the repository the restore started. the tasks were set to 5 and in some sobr were also still waiting for resources. i did a test to remove the task limit. i did a test to remove the task limit. but actually this should work - as you say - also with 5 tasks.

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hello fabian,

i have read the text and there is exactly my problem. if i have already used all resources, then the restore job is entered next in the list to get free resources. but exactly there is the problem.

if a long job is running that needs all resources, then i have to wait until it is finished, i.e. releases its resources. in my case it was like this. i had a backup copy job that creates an initial full backup to a slow wan storage. it was just finished at about 30%.

here the bc would have to be stopped, the resources released, the restore done and then the resources returned to the bc job.

thx
jeff
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jeff

Thanks.
I understand now what you see in your environment.
A restore should start even if backups are using all available tasks.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

Hi Fabian,

YES, you got it. Do you have a solution?

thx
jeff