Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
smacca20
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon McMannis

Restore to AWS

Post by smacca20 »

Hey all,

We are trying to find information on migrating to AWS. We currently use Veeam to backup locally, but need to confirm if we can restore to AWS for disks larger than 1Tb.
Info on the web is conflicting and info i can find from AWS does not seem to clearly state what file size limitations are in place for import to EBS from S3.

Most migration tools seem to keep a 1Tb limit, and some say that it due to a AWS limit.

Does anyone have any info on this? If it is possible, can Veeam restore a machine with 1.7Tb disk size?

Thanks

SM
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Restore to AWS

Post by jmmarton »

Currently it's not possible to restore Hyper-V or VMware VMs backed up by Veeam Backup & Replication to AWS (regardless of disk size).

Joe
smacca20
Novice

Post by smacca20 »

Thanks Joe.

Do you, or anyone, know if there a limitation in restoring VM's of that size to AWS regardless of restoration software?

We would use Azure, but already have some infrastructure in AWS, and it is very clear that Azure does not support disk over 1Tb, but AWS documentation is not as clear.

Thanks

SM
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Simon,

I believe there are now disks up to a maximum of 16 TB with AWS. There used to be EBS Magnetic where there was indeed a maximum of 1TB (like Azure). I am not aware of the details of those disks that can become up to 16 TB, something for me to read up on :-). But I believe there is still a limitation of your disk image being maximum 2 TB when you use import (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/la ... mport.html)

For Azure, I know they are working on supporting 32 TB (If I am not mistaken about the number) disks to attach to a VM.
smacca20
Novice

Post by smacca20 »

Thanks Mike.

I found that info, and it still doesn't specify whether an import of over 1 Tb is possible.
Most of the other restore/migration software I have found, seem to say that they limit the restore to 1 Tb, and only one says that it is due to limitations in AWS... but that may have changed and they haven't removed that restriction. But I am just guessing.

Thanks for the reply guys.

SM