Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mmilby
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Milby

Restoring windows files

Post by mmilby »

Here's the problem, I have a server that is reporting disk corruption and needs to run chkdsk. All of my restore points want to run chkdsk when the vm is started as well. If I let chkdsk run, the vm blue screens when it starts windows. I've tried using the converter to VtoV a new instance of the server, but the chkdsk problem persists. I then tried to do a "repair install" from cd when it blue screened, but it didn't give me that option. So, I have a fresh install of windows now, and I have all the folders for the programs that were installed. How do I restore the Windows info from my backups to this "new" vm?

Thanks,

Mike
mmilby@preco.org
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Restoring windows files

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mike, what do you mean by "Windows info"? You can use Windows guest file level restore functionality to pull out required files, sounds like this is what you need. Thanks!
mmilby
Novice

Post by mmilby »

I tried that, and it got to the point where I could browse the network for the destination, but when I clicked on the server that I wanted to restore to, it won't let me. When I click on the server it doesn't show any drives and it doesn't enable the option to click "OK".
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, but this has nothing to deal with Veeam really... just basics of network access to a Windows server. You would see exactly the same if you tried to open this server in Windows Explorer. Only shared folders are shown by default, and since you have not gone none, so you do not see anything. If you account has local admin privileges on said server, you can use hidden shares (c$, d$ etc.) to get to server volumes by typing something like \\servername\c$ in the destination path. You should try this in Windows Explorer to make sure you have sufficient privileges to get to hidden shares first, before attempting file restore with Veeam. Thanks.
mmilby
Novice

Post by mmilby »

So, basically when you run the file level restore, and it finishes, you then are working on the windows level and no longer within Veeam at all. Which means to get this to do what I want it to, I need to shut down the destination vm, then attach it's virtual drive to another vm in order to transfer the files and replace what's there.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

mmilby wrote:Which means to get this to do what I want it to, I need to shut down the destination vm, then attach it's virtual drive to another vm in order to transfer the files and replace what's there.
No, you do not need to do anything like this, or anything even close. You may want to read up the User Guide starting from page 93. The only difference from the process described there, is that in your case, on Step 7 instead of choosing local folder on Veeam Backup server as a destination to restored files, you should type in location on remote server as I explained earlier (something like \\servername\c$\somefolder).