Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andnym
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Anders Nyman

Restoring with bad performance

Post by andnym »

I'm using our Veeam product to migrate some servers between two datacenter. Due to policy reasons I cannot use replicationso the method I'm using is backup/restore with incremental backups to make downtime as short as possible.

The time it takes to make the final backups are acceptable due to WAN infrastructure but my issue are when I'm doing restore. The backup repository is on a virtual Windows 2012 R2 machine in the new datacenter. On this server Veeam is running both server and proxy. The Veeam server is running on one vSphere 5.5 host. When I do the restore I sometimes get good performance but mostly low like 20-30 Mb/s. Looking in the logfiles I see that the hot add doesn't work and is failing over to network mode. When I do the restore my virtual machine is on our 3Par SSD disk system, running on a vSphere host and I'm doing the restore to that host as well.

I have tried to connect the Veaam virtual machine against the vSphere host with an internal network switch and setup a little network where Veeam can see the vSphere host without ever leaving the server. Despite this I get bad restore speed. If hot add had worked I guess is that I would achive better performance.

I have looked into everything I found here and on the internet regarding ways to get better restore speed (incremental backups), version of virtual hardware. Mounting snapshot disk on my Veeam proxy isn't really the issue, but a restored servers snapshot can be attached to the Veeam proxy without any problem.

Is there someone who have a clue or tip on this can might be able to give me a hint on what I could do to get better restore performance?

Regards
Anders
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restoring with bad performance

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Anders,

Have you tried using Instant VM Recovery and then the migration job to transfer VM virtual disks to the production storage? Please be aware that network mode cannot restore any faster than the data upload performance via vSphere Client (Datastore Browser).

Does the proxy VM has direct access to the storage you're restoring VMs to (this is mandatory for hotadd restore mode to work)?

Thanks!