Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mralc
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Alister Christman

Retention policy for deleted items does not function if you enable synthetic full backups and/or active full backup.

Post by mralc »

I am Studying for my VMCE.

I just trying to get me head round Retention Policy for Deleted Items. I understand the concept.

But want to understand this: why if [Per-VM is disabled] Retention policy for deleted items does not function if you enable synthetic full backups and/or active full backup? But technically why is this true? Is this because this is too much work to got thought all the back files and mark that data is empty? Or is this because even if you marked this space as empty you would not use this space ever again due to the the fact we are using synthetic full backups and/or active full backup.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Retention policy for deleted items does not function if you enable synthetic full backups and/or active full backup.

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alister, you're correct. This sort of retention applies to chains where a single full backup file is maintained (reverse incremental, forever forward), while when new full is periodically created, there's no need to do that. Blocks cannot be reused and older restore points will go out according to normal retention anyway.