Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jlounsbery
Lurker
Liked: never

Retention Policy Question...

Post by jlounsbery »

I know there are many discussions about this, but I have not been able to find or understand an answer to my scenario so apologies for reasking. We are doing daily Incrementals with an active full every month. We would like to keep the last 12 full backups(1 year), but only up to 60 incrementals. (The full previous month and the current months incrementals.)

It is my understanding that if I retain 365 then I am keeping the incrementals I do not want, and if I choose 72 I will only have the last 3 fulls + incrementals. I am not sure how to accomplish this with Veeam, and am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thank you!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Retention Policy Question...

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Your understanding is correct, but to meet your goal, you need to create a backup copy job with GFS retention policy and make it keep 60restore points + 12 monthly fulls.
Using backup copy jobs is also considered as the best practice.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Retention Policy Question...

Post by veremin »

Also, if you don't want backup copy job to store incrementals (as source backup job does), you can specify 30 day interval for, set simple retention to 2, enable GFS and set 12 as number of monthly points. In this case, backup copy job will be executed once a month, and starting from the second month it will be creating GFS full restore points. Thanks.