retry of backup did not backup failed VM's

Post by pirx »

I've noticed a strange behavior in my v10 env:

- inc backup ended with error for 2 VM's
- retry #1 started 10min after the first attempt
- retry #1 only created syn full but did not backup the two failed VM's
- inc backup on the next day created syn full for the 2 failed VM's
- the 2 VM's have no restore point on the day of the failure

I've checked other jobs with errors and retries, the VM's were always backed up in one of the retries. Even the ones where the retry was a syn full.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: retry of backup did not backup failed VM's

Post by wishr »

Hello Pirx,

Could you please open a support case to get it sorted?

Thanks
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Post by pirx »

pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

I got feedback from support. Support does not see any reason why the retry #1 was marked as successful but did not backup any of the 2 failed VM's (0 of 0 VMs processed). Problem is that we are on v10 and that this happend just once. At least it's the first time I noticed it. So there is probably nobody interested in looking into this. I asked support to escalate this to dev anyway as I cannot trust Veeam error reporting anymore. I've no idea how often this already happend. Usually when a retry is successful/green I do not check this in detail. And due to the lack of any useful filter/search function in Veeam Console it's very hard to go through all the thousand jobs from the past. I'd really like to be able to search for something like "Synthetic Full" or state "error".
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Pirx,

I've pinged out support management to make sure the case gets a required level of attention. First of all, we need to get to the bottom of the issue, so please keep working with the tech. support engineers on the investigation.

Regarding the "search" option, I like the idea, thank you. We'll see what can be done there.

On a side note, have you ever tried VM & Computer Protection History report of Veeam ONE? It can be used to track the backup status on a per-workload basis.

Thanks
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

I know this report but if I create a report with filter on status "failed" it does not consider the retries. So if a VM failed but a retry catches it, it will still be in this report with status "Failed". The successful retry is then a second task with status "Success" in the unfiltered report. The report with success/failed for the last 24h is 15 pages so it does not help too much. It'd be nice if there was a note for the failed tasks like "retry successful y|n".

I don't want to go through all jobs/tasks to find the ones that I've to really look into. We have some failed tasks every day and for most of them we don't have a solution (connection errors to IBM SVC, locked files, temp directories on VBR server than can not be delete etc), for most of them open or closed Veeam cases. And offload tasks are also nowhere in the report (is there something in VeeamOne V11?) so I have to look in to Console anyway and I'm mostly interested in jobs where VM's could not be backed up at all.

Code: Select all

VM/Computer Name	Platform	Job Name	Job Type	Backup Server	Start Time		Finish Time		Proxy	Backup Mode		Schedule Type	Target Name	Target Type	Tape ID	Restore Point Size, GB	Restore Points Number	Backup Status	# of Restore Point Copies
xxxxxx			vSphere		BJ-xxxxx	Backup		xxxxxx		25.08.2021 21:19	25.08.2021 21:21	xxxxxx	Forward Incremental	Daily		xxxxx-B01	Repository	N/A	0,00			26			Failed			2
xxxxxx			vSphere		BJ-xxxxx	Backup		xxxxxx		25.08.2021 21:56	25.08.2021 21:57	xxxxxx	Forward Incremental	Daily		xxxxx-B01	Repository	N/A	0,04			26			Success			0

wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback, it's very useful!

VM & computer protection history is built based on the job sessions. Since each retry is a separate job session, they are shown independently, as the primary goal of the report is job runs auditing. If you are looking for a report that will highlight VMs that have not been backed up during a specific period of time, you may want to check the Protected VMs report.

Currently, Veeam ONE does not monitor or report on SOBR offload/download sessions, but it's planned for future versions.

Thanks