Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
techdesign
Novice
Liked: never

Rotated drives and archiving

Post by techdesign »

I have a client who wants to use RDX for offsite and "archive". I've read the documents regarding repositories backed by rotated storage and currently it sounds like we should do a backup copy job to the RDX. They want:

Daily RDX
Friday 1-4 RDX
Quarterly 1-4 RDX

My plan is to do this with a single backup copy job, and just label the RDX drives appropriately. Daily and Friday seems easy enough as long as our main repository has 30+ days of restore points in it, and I'm thinking we will set the restore points on the RDX backup job to 4, which should keep 4 restore points PER RDX since this is a backup copy job. If they forget to swap drives one or two days, it won't hurt too much since they will just get extra VIB's on that drive.

The quarterly seems a bit more problematic. Since they will only be in the rotation once per year, there won't be enough restore points in the main repository to cover that. It seems like there are two options, which I am looking for feedback on.

1 - create a separate job that would essentially do a full backup copy once per quarter. What I can't wrap my head around is how this would interact with the main backup copy job. Does one take precedence? Issues I see with this:
-what happens if they forget to put the quarterly cartridge in when the job is scheduled? They would be overwriting backup data they didn't plan on
-what happens with the existing data? It will definitely be out of the scope of any backup chain after a year. It seems like we would either need to do a script to delete the data on the cartridge or use a backup job rather than a backup copy, which sounds like it will automatically create a new backup, but we still need to deal with the old data

2 - Just treat the quarterly like any other rotation in the backup copy job, but since the data on it will be out of date and won't match any backup chain, we run a pre-script for the backup copy job that says if the files on the cartridge are older than 6 months, delete all the files, which will essentially present a "fresh" cartridge to the job and it will create a new VBK

Am I understanding this correctly? And does anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this scenario?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Rotated drives and archiving

Post by foggy »

You cannot run a backup copy with GFS backups enabled to a backup repository backed up by rotated drives. So you would anyway need different jobs to implement what you're after and switch cartridges carefully.
techdesign
Novice
Liked: never

Post by techdesign »

Yes, I realize I cannot do GFS, which is why I'm leaning toward option 2 I've presented above. Just one generic backup copy job, with 4 restore points, to the rotated drive repository. Create a pre-script to run for this job that checks the file dates of the VBK/VIB files and if they are too old (which the quarterlies would be), delete them so the backup copy job sees it as a new cartridge and runs a full copy.

Is this not a valid workflow for this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this should work as you expect.