Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JorisK
Expert
Liked: never

Running out of storage when stopping job

Post by JorisK »

Hi,

It happend a few times: i started over a backup job with the retention policy set to 7 and the compression to optimal. What happens the first day is that a large file around 600GB is beeing created containing all my VM's, no failures. The second day, a file around 70GB is created, still nothing special. On the third day, we had to cancel the job because of some SAN trouble and now a 3rd file appeared which is also 600GB large.

What happend here? Is this normal behaviour? This '2nd' large file is an .vbk file aswell. Is it possible for me to remove the first .vbk file safely?

EDIT: When checking the backups, selecting a VM and press restore guest files i see 3 days: Two of them are synthetic full, one of them is rollback.

Regards,
Joris
vbussiro
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: Running out of storage when stopping job

Post by vbussiro »

Maybe you launched it manually asking for "perform full backup" instead of "start job" or "retry job" ? That the logical explanation, if not, there's a bug...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Joris,

It is expected behavior, when you cancel the job or it fails due to some connectivity issues (or any other), VBK file is no longer valid as all the changes are inserted to VBK file on-the-fly during the job run (synthetic way of backup). This happens when the job didn't finish successfully or was interrupted.

You shouldn't worry about that, do not delete this new file manually, because if you run your job once again, it will automatically try to repair your VBK file based on previous VRB. And after the VBK is repaired you shouldn't see any additional VRB files with the same size as VBK.

Thank you!
JorisK
Expert
Liked: never

Post by JorisK »

Okay thanks, so i should be able to delete te 'last' BVK file right?

Also, i used the FULL Backup option a few days ago, i guess this starts a Full Synthetic backup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Joris,

Do not delete with your own, the following job runs will take care of it according to your data retention policy. If you perform Full backup option on the existing job, it will create a new VBK file and start the new "backup chain". But you will also be able to do a restore from previous backup chain.