Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Safest way to delete old vbk backup files

Post by kjstech »

How can I get veeam to safely delete this old vbk file. They take up too much space and we end up running out of space on a FreeNas device. We are getting Exagrid but not until Q1 2016, so I need a way for the next few weeks to automate this process safely.

Jobs are set to save 3 restore points and delete data from backup after 5 days, however 7+ days theres still two vbk files. After a new full backup I want Veeam to delete the last old full backup and all the incrementals after it. We just don't have the space right now to keep all of this.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Safest way to delete old vbk backup files

Post by foggy »

Keith, if you're using forward incremental mode, then the previous chain including full backup and dependent increments cannot be deleted until the new chain reaches the specified number of restore points. Otherwise you just will not have enough restore points on disk at any given moment in time (3, as you specify). Once you have third restore point, retention will apply to the older chain.

If you do not have enough space to keep two fulls, I suggest switching to forever incremental mode.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Why it is still there? Because deleting this file will leave you with only 2 restore points that you will be able to recover from :) as deleting a full backup renders all dependent increments completely useless.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

Ok so I could change the retention from 3 to 1 and that would automatically clean it up for me? Or better yet change to Forever Forward Incremental full?

Can I change the backup type in the beginning of the week, no issues at all? It will handle the conversion?

I just need to buy some time until we get our Exagrid system.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Ok so I could change the retention from 3 to 1 and that would automatically clean it up for me?
Yes, during the next cycle. However, even with current retention (3) the old restore points will be automatically deleted.
Or better yet change to Forever Forward Incremental full?
Yes, you can do that.
Can I change the backup type in the beginning of the week, no issues at all? It will handle the conversion?
Correct.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

Ok thanks, I simply just unchecked the "Create synthetic full backup" box that I had for my three backup jobs. Instead of running on Saturday I guess this will be a better solution. I upped the restore points from 3 to 6. I have enough space currently to hold a week (7 days) of backups, its just that I do not have enough space to hold any more than that (2 weeks for example).

We will re-evaluate once we get our Exagrid system in place in Q1 and then we are going to have boatloads of storage.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Ok thanks, I simply just unchecked the "Create synthetic full backup" box that I had for my three backup jobs.
This will make your job use forward forever incremental mode, indeed.
I upped the restore points from 3 to 6.
In this case the old restore points will be deleted when there are 5 increments created to the latest .vbk or 11 points in total (5 .vib+the latest .vbk; 4 old .vib +old .vbk).

Thanks.