Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tomhkr
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

SAN infrastructure volumes empty

Post by tomhkr »

Following all the instructions, I've added a LeftHand management group to Veeam, it seems to work. All the LUNs are connected to the proxy iscsi initiator and visible in Disk management. But from the Veeam SAN Infrastructure tab I can not see anything in the volumes. All the volumes are there, size and usage is correct but clicking into the volumes I can not see anything in them.
By checking network load and running a backup it clearly shows that the proxy gets the data from the SAN so DirectSAN is working.

Screenshot from my SAN Infrastructure tab:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... ninfra.jpg

Found this blog post and the guy can clearly see every VM residing on the volumes
http://www.vmguru.nl/wordpress/2012/10/ ... tion-v6-5/

What am I doing wrong? Am I even supposed to see the contents of the volumes?
Configuration is Veeam 7.0 on 2008R2, LeftHand SAN/iQ 9.5, six ESXi 5.0.0 hosts in HA configuration w/ vCenter.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SAN infrastructure volumes empty

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R shows contents of the storage snapshots. You do not have any snapshots, hence do not see any VMs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6710 times

Re: SAN infrastructure volumes empty

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

The functionality you are attempting to use is called Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots, so you need to create some array-based snapshots first before you can explore those. You can schedule periodic snapshots using the HP storage management console, and they will be created automatically. I recommend that you schedule crash-consistent snapshots, so that you don't impact your production workloads with application freezes during the production hours. Our recovery wizards are specifically designed to support recovery from crash-consistent VM images. Of course, you still want to perform normal backup to another storage with regular Veeam backup jobs to be able to recover when you lose your entire production storage along with all snapshots. This "standard" Veeam backup will also be application-consistent, and you will always be able to fail over to recovering from that one, should full VM recovery from crash-consistent storage snapshot fail. Thanks!