Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: DennisT

Sandbox for updates?

Post by DennisT »

Here's what I would like to do:
Have a "master" backup of a VM.
Production VM is in use.
Be able to restore the Master VM into a sandbox while the production VM is still powered up/in use. In the Master VM I can then run updates separate from my production network (Windows updates, application updates; all from the internet). Once complete I can then power down the Master VM and back it up.
I can then restore the Master VM over the production VM.

I have B&R Enterprise as well as vSphere Enterprise Plus.

Is the above doable? Can it be scripted in powershell?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Sandbox for updates?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dennis

You can leverage virtual labs as OnDemand Sandbox. Scripting is supported.
And it's included in your license.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DennisT
Influencer

Post by DennisT »

That says the VM is in a read only state. I need to run updates and then save the new version. Is there a way to do that?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

The VM inside the sandbox can be updated. We will use instant recovery to boot a VM from the backup. Changes to the disk will be written to a snapshot file while the instant recovery is running. You can even reboot a VM inside the sandbox.

When you stop the sandbox, the VM gets deleted.

I don‘t recommend to backup hat VM and restore it. It will be a new VM (even if the hostname is the same) and therefore new backup chain with an Active Full is required.
Use the sandbox to test the upgrades, then run the upgrades directly on the production environment.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DennisT
Influencer

Post by DennisT »

So that is different than what I'm looking for. I'd like to have a "master VM" I know is good and update that. Then roll it out. Updating the existing production VM brings along all the accumulated junk and possibly any compromised files.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6727 times

Post by Gostev »

DennisT wrote: May 21, 2023 4:36 pmBe able to restore the Master VM into a sandbox while the production VM is still powered up/in use. In the Master VM I can then run updates separate from my production network (Windows updates, application updates; all from the internet).
This seems to be more or less what Staged Restore is designed to do: do something to a machine in a sandbox and then restore the modified state.
DennisT
Influencer

Post by DennisT »

When the staged restore runs does it automatically backup the new VM and if it doesn't is there a way to do that? I'd like to backup the new iteration (not the production VMs after the staged restore is done).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, the Staged Restore process itself does not perform a backup. But you can of course back the VM up immediately after its restoration (for example, using VeeamZIP as the easiest way to create a standalone backup) and it's fully scriptable of course.
DennisT
Influencer

Post by DennisT »

So could I, via scripting on the Veeam server, shut down the production VM, run the staged restore, backup the new production VM to tape, then power it on?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, all of that should be possible to script with Veeam PowerShell and vSphere PowerCLI. In fact, PowerCLI should only be needed for the power on operation, as Veeam already provide an option to restore in powered off state (at least there's a check box on the very last step of the Full VM Restore wizard, so Veeam API must have the same option too).