Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Scale Out Backup Repository - migration

Post by Blue407 »

I have an existing Repository on a Synology NAS, I now want to go with SOBR as it allows more flexibility for adding storage capacity.

I created the new SOBR and added the existing Repository into it, did a scan.
Both Repositories still exist in B&R.

I then went to one of my backup jobs, which is still pointing to the original Repository, and tried modifying it to the SOBR.
It appears to work, then gives an error "Move all backup files to the new backup repository first".

Am I doing something the the wrong order? I assumed the rescan of the SOBR would pickup the existing backup jobs.
Is there a way to get this to work?

My Synology is almost full and has 62TB of backups on it, I just want to include this Repository in the SOBR, before I add some more extents to it.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Scale Out Backup Repository - migration

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Paul,
When you were adding the repository to SOBR did it ask you if you want to move the existing bakups to SOBR as well?
Once you click YES, the target is simply updated in the job properties, so you don't need to modify it manually or perform the rescan,
Thanks!
Blue407
Enthusiast

Post by Blue407 »

I selected yes, however it doesn't seem to have done it.
Should I delete the SOBR and try again?
I'm on ver 9.5 update 4
Blue407
Enthusiast

Post by Blue407 »

Weirdly, it looks like something may have been running in the background. It looks like all my jobs are now pointing to the SOBR.

However, I've since learnt that I cannot differentiate which storage the GFS goes to as I don't have on-premise object storage available., so I have removed Synology1 from the SOBR. This has now left me with the situation where all backup copy jobs are pointing to SOBR and it won't let me change it back to the original repository on Synology1. I have re-scanned both Repositories and still no joy.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Did you evacuate the backups from the Synology1 before you removed it from the scale-out repository?
Could you also specify your goal, as I am not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve now.
Thanks!
Blue407
Enthusiast

Post by Blue407 »

How do you mean evacuate the backups? This device is nearly full, so I let B&R re-scan it after it was added to the SOBR.

The goal now is to get back to where i was, Synology1 still has tons of backups on it and I want it back to stand-alone and not included in SOBR.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

When you remove an extent, Veeam Backup & Replication puts the underlying backup repository to the Maintenance mode and unassigns the extent role from it. The backup repository ceases to exist as a part of the scale-out backup repository and becomes a backup repository.

If the extent contains backup files, it is strongly recommended that you perform the following actions before you remove the extent:

a. Put the extent to the Maintenance mode.
b. Evacuate backups from the extent.

In this case, backup files will be moved to other extents of the scale-out backup repository, and the backup chain will remain consistent. If you do not evacuate backups from the extent, the backup chain may get broken as some restore points will be missing from it.

If you had the job run while Synology was part of SOBR, most likely the backup chain is broken. I would suggest to contact Veeam support to investigate it closely.