Scale-Out Repositories on Enterprise Edition

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Scale-Out Repositories on Enterprise Edition

Veeam Logoby bryancc » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:13 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I've been looking forward to using the new Scale-Out Repositories feature, so I just installed v9 yesterday and noticed my Enterprise edition only allows for a maximum of 3 extents. I'm curious how Veeam came up with that maximum number of extents? It just seems that the feature is restricted on Enterprise, to the point where calling it an "Enterprise" feature is a misnomer. Going from 3 extents with Enterprise to unlimited with Enterprise Plus is a very drastic difference and will end up forcing customers to (or pricing out of) Enterprise Plus in order to utilize this new feature.

In my environment, I have a physical Veeam server with 2 local volumes, so basically to make use of any additional storage space (for me iSCSI) I can only add one additional volume to my scale-out repository. Everyone's environment and needs are different, so maybe I am unreasonably expecting a little more flexibility with this feature with the Enterprise edition, but it is still somewhat disappointing. I won't make use of most additional features provided in Enterprise Plus edition and I am unable to justify the cost for the remaining ones that I could.

Maybe some insight from others can help me figure out whether my concerns are legitimate :D
bryancc
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bryan

Re: Scale-Out Repositories on Enterprise Edition

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi, sure - I can give you an insight behind this decision.

Main reason was a poll we did among our enterprise customers (> 50K deal size) about half a year ago. It turned about that roughly 50% of them were using 3 or less backup repositories. So, it seemed to be a fair place to draw the line (originally, SOBR was planned to be Enterprise Plus only feature due to its spirit and positioning).

Additional minor considerations were:
1. 3 is quite "standard" (so to speak) number for feature limitations... think 3 hosts limitations in VMware Essentials, for example.
2. It's very easy to increase this number if we determine that the initial choice was bad, but it is impossible to reduce one without pissing off every impacted customer big times.
3. Since Enterprise edition customers constitute roughly 75% of our user base, it's a good idea to let SOBR technology prove its stability and scalability before letting large amount of people set up configurations with large number of extents.

Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2336 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm also running Enterprise and a bit disappointed with the 3 extent limit. In my case, having it be 5 or 6 would be enough to cover all of my scenarios.
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 53 times

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:38 pm

Just wanted to add a me-too here. I can get by with 3 ok at the moment, but 5 would be much more comfortable long term.
DaveWatkins
Expert

Liked: 61 times

Veeam Logoby cousinsp » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Us too. When you're given lots of little bits of storage that aren't good enough for production use, you need more extents. 6 would be ok, but I think we could use 10.
cousinsp
Novice

Full Name: Pete Cousins

Veeam Logoby cousinsp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:20 am 1 person likes this post

Also only just discovered after upgrading to Veeam 9 at the weekend that only ONE scale out repository is permitted in Enterprise Edition. Please can we either have more extents or more scale out repositories in Enterprise Edition?
cousinsp
Novice

Full Name: Pete Cousins

Veeam Logoby ottl05 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 am

I'm also running Enterprise and a bit disappointed with the 3 extent limit.
In our case, having it be 6/7 would be enough to cover all.
ottl05
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:36 pm 1 person likes this post

Just update to enterprise plus, even Veeam needs to earn some money :)
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 94 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

[MERGED] Scale-Out Repositories license?

Veeam Logoby enoch » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:04 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Veeam,

Please think about making it possible to have more then one Scale-Out Repository with Veeam B&R Enterprise edition! :evil:

The jump from Enterprise to Enterprise Plus have no other features for us that we can use/need then the possibility to create more then one Scale-Out Repository = BIG price for only using that feature.

Please think about adding more then one or the possibility to buy this as a standalone license.

PLEASE :D
enoch
Service Provider

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Enoch

Veeam Logoby crazzyeddie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:01 pm

I think the biggest difficulty with an odd number of extents is in an offsite scenario; If you have 2 extents at your main site, you basically don't get any scale-out at your DR site.

Due to this, I would love to see a minimum of 4 extents for Enterprise.
crazzyeddie
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Will

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:02 pm

The limit of 3 extent is counted inside the single scale out repository you are allowed to create, so I don't see this limit you are explaining. Even if you only use two extents in one site, you cannot build a second repository with the enterprise license.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1309 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby crazzyeddie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm

I should have included the limitation of a single scale-out repository as well. Basically, it would be nice to be able to join two storage arrays at both the main and remote site for DR scenarios, even if the total limit is just 4.
crazzyeddie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm

So, just to recap, you'd be fine with 4 maximum extents, regardless if they are grouped in 1 or 2 scale-out repositories.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1309 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby crazzyeddie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Yes. That would be the functional minimum for a two-site deployment, which I would think (or hope!) many Enterprise-level customers have some sort of offsite setup.

Obviously I would love to have 6 or more total extents (for my EQL SAN, which has a 15TB LUN max), but realistically I understand why you limit the number of extents based on license level. Hopefully this number will increase gradually over time as the feature is more "standard" in the product.
crazzyeddie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby iwik » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Yep, we were waiting for v9 to switch to scale-out repository...We were running out of space in our 4x 4TB lun spanned volume on windows storage repository. It not seems to be good approach to continue adding 4TB luns...
Scale-out repository looked liked solution, long waiting for v9 and then we found limit of 3 extents - not way to go. Switching to Linux repository - big xfs filesystem on lvm...
iwik
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication