Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Josemi
Novice
Liked: never

Schedule a backup copy job

Post by Josemi »

Hi
I'd like to know if someone can help me in my backup setup.

Here are my requirements: I've got several backup jobs, one for each vm I have. The first backup job is launched at 6pm, the second is launched after the first has finished, and so on. These backup jobs are launched each day from monday to friday.
On the other hand, I have got one backup copy job for each backup job. I want this backup copy job launch each 7 days, so I'll get one weekly backup copy. The problem is how to schedule the interval: Having in mind I've got about 20 vm's, I also have got 20 backup copy jobs. Then if I launch every backup copy job at the same time, I'm not going to have enough resources for doing all the tasks. How can I do this?

Thanks for your answers
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Schedule a backup copy job

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
Josemi wrote:The first backup job is launched at 6pm, the second is launched after the first has finished, and so on.
Why not to start several jobs in the same time? Due to parallel processing, overall backup process will take much less time.

Regarding backup copy job schedule, you can use backup windows to split backup copy jobs if you don`t want them to run in the same time.

By the way, why not to combine several VMs in the one backup job? (Same for backup copy)
Thanks!
Josemi
Novice

Post by Josemi »

Hi again
Why not to start several jobs in the same time?
Maybe you are right but when I've tried it, I've had the same problem with several jobs. I've got this error message: Task failed Error: Failed to wait mutex famVimService: timeout 300 sec exceeded
Regarding backup copy job schedule, you can use backup windows to split backup copy jobs if you don`t want them to run in the same time.
Yes, but confirm me the following: If on Friday, the interval backup copy job starts before the corresponding backup job finished, it will find the thursday restore point and when the backup window was activated, it'll copy the thursday backup, not the friday. Is this right?
By the way, why not to combine several VMs in the one backup job? (Same for backup copy)
It's not good for me. I like having the vm backups separated in the repos. So it's easier manage them (move to another repo,etc)

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Josemi wrote:Maybe you are right but when I've tried it, I've had the same problem with several jobs. I've got this error message: Task failed Error: Failed to wait mutex famVimService: timeout 300 sec exceeded
Check how many parallel tasks are allowed on the proxy server. Probably you scheduled more jobs than the proxy(or backup repository) could handle.
Josemi wrote:Yes, but confirm me the following: If on Friday, the interval backup copy job starts before the corresponding backup job finished, it will find the thursday restore point and when the backup window was activated, it'll copy the thursday backup, not the friday. Is this right?
Correct, to be exact backup copy job will make a new restore point from all new restore points of the source job. So if you want the Fridays backup to be copied as well, you need to start backup copy job after the source job is done.
Josemi wrote:It's not good for me. I like having the vm backups separated in the repos. So it's easier manage them (move to another repo,etc)
Understood. From the other hand combining vms into job can save some repository space due to data deduplication.
Keep track of Veeam Blog, we currently present next version features. Some of them would be really useful for you. Thanks!
Josemi
Novice

Post by Josemi »

Hi Nikita
Thanks for your answer
Then, only one question more: Having in mind these considerations: First of all, I need to launch my interval backup copy jobs each 7 days but I don't know exactly the time to start because I don't know the finalization time of their corresponding backup jobs. Secondly, I must not launch every backup copy jobs at the same time because of the error message of timeout of 300 sec exceeded. Finally, if I have 25 backup jobs that I don't know when they finished, I must calculate 25 aproximated times for each corresponding backup copy jobs. I think that is a madness! If one of the backup job failed for any reason and it had to be retried, the calculated time for launch the backup copy job would be wrong and it'd fail. Aren't there any easier solution? Why doesn't exist a way for launch a backup copy when its corresponding backup finished?

Another doubt: Look at this situation: In the same context as before (one backup job from monday to friday starting at 6pm and its corresponding backup copy job that must save the last friday restore point). I suppose the backup job finishes at 6:30pm, then I must setup the interval for the backup copy job each 7 days and start it at minimum 6:30pm, but when do I have to able this backup copy job? If I am configurating the backup copy job on tuesday for example, and I able it, it will begin to look for the last restore point and it will find the monday one. If this is right, I am obligated to able every backup copy jobs at the exact date and time it must begin. Is this so? Having in mind the most of my backups launch at friday night and I'm not working at these hours. It's not valid apply the backup window because a backup copy job activated on tuesday would find the last monday restore point and it'd start to save it in the backup window defined. But it wouldn't save the friday restore point. Which is my mistake in all this argument?

Thanks again
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Since you have lots of back and backup copy jobs, it makes sense to run some of them in parallel.
To avoid timeout of 300 sec exceeded error, you need increase a number of parallel tasks on your backup proxy and repository.
Josemi wrote:Why doesn't exist a way for launch a backup copy when its corresponding backup finished?
It can be done by post-job activity of the backup job.
Josemi wrote:I suppose the backup job finishes at 6:30pm, then I must setup the interval for the backup copy job each 7 days and start it at minimum 6:30pm, but when do I have to able this backup copy job? If I am configurating the backup copy job on tuesday for example, and I able it, it will begin to look for the last restore point and it will find the monday one. If this is right, I am obligated to able every backup copy jobs at the exact date and time it must begin. Is this so? Having in mind the most of my backups launch at friday night and I'm not working at these hours. It's not valid apply the backup window because a backup copy job activated on tuesday would find the last monday restore point and it'd start to save it in the backup window defined. But it wouldn't save the friday restore point. Which is my mistake in all this argument?
You can use backup window to prohibit the backup copy job to transfer data on work-days, so it will start on Saturday. Also, as I wrote above, you can set a post-job activity for backup jobs at also schedule the activity for exact days only.
Does it work for your case? Thanks!