Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Scheduled backup hung at "Starting" status

Post by Frosty »

I have four (4) backup jobs scheduled to run each night. Last night one of them (the 2nd in the sequence of 4 jobs) seemed to 'freeze' and when I came in this morning its status showed "Starting" and it had been that way all night. I was able to force the job to stop. It warned me that this would leave the backup files in an uncertain state. I then re-ran the job manually and it worked just fine.

I'm running v4.1.1 and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this kind of issue? Its not happened to me before, although I have only been running backup jobs for a few weeks so far (I used VM Copy jobs before that).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Scheduled backup hung at "Starting" status

Post by Gostev »

Hello Stephen, we would need to see full log files to tell you what exactly the job was doing (or waiting for) while hanging in the "Starting" status. Please contact our support and provide all logs from Help | Support information for investigation.
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Post by Frosty »

Thanks Gostev.

I had a look through the logs. Found that it was caused by SQL connection timeouts, causing the Veeam Backup Manager (process?) to fail. I will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will log a call.

Cheers,

Steve.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Steve, just wanted to note that Veeam Backup Manager is UI process, so it does not participate in job management. You need to be looking at the corresponding job's log instead. But in any case, potential SQL issues may of course affect the jobs as well.