Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adrien.herve
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Adrien HERVE

Scheduling bug or not?

Post by adrien.herve »

Hi guys,

I don't know if this thing is a bug or a proper behavior. I know this is a little bit weird but I have a backup to disk job which is not scheduled by Veeam but via an external scheduler with a PS script. External scheduling on this job is working perfectly. And I have a second job, a backup to tape job, scheduled by Veeam and linked to this backup job (must start after).
Every time my external scheduler launch the backup to disk job, at the end of the run, Veeam is not starting the backup to tape job. I don't know why... Maybe because the status of the backup to disk job is "not scheduled" so Veeam thinks I must not start other jobs scheduled after this job?

Thanks,
Adrien
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Scheduling bug or not?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Adrien. Since your first job is not started by Veeam scheduler, it does not get a chance to schedule the chained job to execute after the first one completes. But since you are starting the first job from the script anyway, why cannot you have the same script execute the other job as well? Thanks.
adrien.herve
Enthusiast

Post by adrien.herve »

Hi Gostev,

Thank you for your fast reply. At this time tape jobs are not in production mode so before using external scheduler to schedule them (which is not managed by me in my corp) for chaining tape jobs to disk job I'm currently testing it with Veeam native scheduler. This is not the target so this is not a big deal but I just want to have a clear explanation about this, which I have. ;)
I think I can use a workaround by using the option "as a new backup file appear" because my disk jobs are launched only once by day.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Beware if you are running french operating system with french datetime format, tape jobs are failing to find new files. There is a bug in v8 patch1 where a datetime object cannot be casted due to the fact the CLR is waiting for an US format at cast time.
For the moment the workaround is to switch the backup server to US datetime format.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
adrien.herve
Enthusiast

Post by adrien.herve »

Thank you for this information. My chance, this server is already in US datetime format. ;)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There are a couple of options that you can put into use:

- Execute two jobs one by one via the said PS script
- Execute the backup to tape job via pos-job command of the backup job
- Use "as new backup files appears" type of schedule

As mentioned above, the latter seems to be the preferable one.

Thanks.