Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Secondary Destinations Option

Post by jlester »

We have been using rsync to sync our onsite backup to our offsite storage location. We are looking to move to the new Backup Copy option in v7. What exactly does the "Configure secondary destinations for this job" checkbox do on the backup job? What is confusing me is that when I create a Backup Copy job, it says it will always run if you select continuous. When it sees a new restore point, it will automatically sync. If that is true, what does the secondary destination option do on the Backup job itself? I read those sections in the manual, but am still not sure why you need both options?

Thanks,
Jason
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Re: Secondary Destinations Option

Post by jlester »

It looks like when I pointed the Backup Copy jobs to the Backup jobs, it checked the box in the Backup job too. So, I guess that answers the original question.

Another question though .. For the two jobs that have already completed the first sync to the second destination, I only see one restore point now for each VM in those jobs. I assume it is seeing the one restore point that was copied as part of the Backup Copy job. Shouldn't it still see all the other restore points that are on the primary backup storage? If I browse the primary repository, all the other restore points are still there. If I needed to restore from one of those earlier restore points, how would I do that? I had it re-scan the primary storage, but no other restore points appeared. The VMs for the jobs that are still doing the initial sync still show all their restore points.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Secondary Destinations Option

Post by Gostev »

Backup Copy is not about copying the entire backup file chains. Rather, it is designed for efficiently copying the latest available restore point for selected VMs periodically.