Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Securing repository proxy for use with san access

Post by Peejay62 »

We will deploy physical servers acting as proxies to perform SAN based backup. I know about The Ugly you can be confronted with, the physical proxy resignaturing your disk in case of wrong settings, big change of loosing your vm environment. The things to take care of in order to not make this happen: if possible mount luns read only, disabling automount on the proxy, disk management snap-in disablement and restrict local admin access to the proxy (obviously backup-admins only).
If I implement these things, am I cool then? If anybody has other things to mention please do so..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Securing repository proxy for use with san access

Post by foggy »

In fact no additional steps are required. Corruption could be caused by disk initialization only. To effectively avoid automatic mount and initialization of VMFS volumes in Windows 7/2008 and later, SAN Policy should be set to Offline. Starting from v6.1 Veeam B&R automatically sets SAN Policy to Offline (and disables automount in older releases) during installation, thus preventing disks from being initialized. As far as disks are seen as offline in Disk Management, you are safe.