Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rebelsmed
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Smed

Seeding a backup

Post by rebelsmed »

I have a 1.2 TB backup I am trying to setup over a slow WAN connection. The last time I did this the backup (Veeam 6.5) was about have the size, and ran over a long weekend to complete the initial backup. Once it was backed up, it worked great. Now I'm using the latest version of Veeam -

Because it has grown in size I hoped to seed the backup using a portable drive;

I plugged in a portable drive, and attached it to the server (VM, ESX host, running Server 2008 R2) that is the Veeam server.
I configured a backup of 7 VM from a single ESX host, optimized for deduplication, to the portable drive.
I transported the drive to the offsite location, moved the folder on the backup drive to a SAN. In Veeam I created a new repository, and successfully imported existing backups.
I reconfigured the existing backup created in the 2nd step above, to point to the new store, and also changed the proxy server to an onsite server that was used previously for this purpose.
Everything seems ok, until the backup runs, then each vm fails with the following error;

"Client error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0]. "

Did I miss a step?
Also - Do I need to recreate the backup from scratch every time I want to 'reseed' the backup and start again? When I try and point it back to the portable drive (formatted to erase), I get an error saying;

"Move all files to the repository first."

Mark
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Seeding a backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark,

In order to seed backup files, you need to run the backup job locally, then move backup files to the new repository, rescan this repository and then use backup mapping option in the jobs settings as a final step. I'm not sure that your error message has anything to do with backup seeding, but you can check that with our support team.

Yes, in order to re-seed backups, you should re-create the jobs, because jobs will fail if they cannot locate backup files that have been previously created.

Thanks!
rebelsmed
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Smed

Post by rebelsmed »

I'm sure I did all that. I was following a kb article. I'll do it again, and call support if it fails again.

M.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

BTW, are you using backup or backup copy jobs to have an offsite backup copy?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I would also recommend trying to reseed the job second time. I suspect that something might have gone wrong during initial transferring, and copied backup chain has become unusable. If nothing helps, feel free to open a ticket with our support team.

Thanks.