Seeding offsite backup files for a Backup Copy Job

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Seeding offsite backup files for a Backup Copy Job

Veeam Logoby Dave-Departed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 am

Hi All,

Testing WAN acceleration and Backup Copy Jobs, as per my thread yesterday... And unless I'm still being thick, I'm stuck!

I have a 200GB full backup file (copied from an existing v6.5 backup), which I've uploaded to my offsite repository, which I want to use to seed a new Backup Copy Job from. I've rescanned the offsite repository in Veeam, and I've even imported the backup into the Veeam console (where it shows under Imported Backups), but when I go to add it to my Backup Copy Job, I just can't see the VM anywhere other than browsing to it through Infrastructure? Which means I can't seem to choose the offsite backup file to be mapped to, for seeding?

Obviously, I'm aware that it's a different process to seeding a regular backup in 6.5, but I just can't seem to figure out how to do this (on my test v7 server, I don't have the disk space to host the copied backup file, hence why I've copied it up to the offsite repository).

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Dave-Departed
Expert

Liked: 6 times

Re: Seeding offsite backup files for a Backup Copy Job

Veeam Logoby Dave-Departed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:39 am

More information:

Even if I try to create a standard backup job, and map the job to the offsite backup file, when I browse the offsite repository, the imported backup file doesn't show up.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:37 am

Dave, are you able to add the copied backup at the Target step of the Backup Copy Job Wizard, after selecting Map Backup?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Dave-Departed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:39 am

Hi Foggy,

No, it doesn't show up there, only the jobs that I created from scratch in v7 are there.

Thanks

Dave
Dave-Departed
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 am

Dave-Departed wrote:I've rescanned the offsite repository in Veeam, and I've even imported the backup into the Veeam console (where it shows under Imported Backups), but when I go to add it to my Backup Copy Job, I just can't see the VM anywhere other than browsing to it through Infrastructure?

Did your backup files show up in the backup console after you've rescanned the repository? There is no need to import backup files to the console if you run a rescan operation.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Dave-Departed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Vitaly,

No, they didn't show up after a rescan. No idea why!
Dave-Departed
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:50 am

Ok, this is the problem. Your backup files should appear in the console first and then you would be able to map your backup copy job to these files. Did you transfer the vbm file as well?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Dave-Departed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:59 am

Ok, so I've just removed and re-added the affected backup (including the VBM file too, yes), and rescanned the repository... And this time it has picked it up!

However, I'm now getting the same behaviour as described in that other topic - ie when I try to map the backup at the Target stage, I get the message "No backup is attached. Cannot map a backup". Obviously I only have the VBM and latest VBK file in there (it comes from a reverse incremental job originally, so the latest VBK is a full backup). If I browse the backup file in the Veeam console, I can see it has 14 restore points associated with it, but obviously they are not there because I didn't import the VRB files. How do I get round this, please?
Dave-Departed
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 am

Another reason why you cannot map your backup files could the version of these copied files. I didn't pay attention that you're trying to do that using backup files created by version 6.5. If you have an opportunity, can you please try to create active full using version 7 and then map your backup copy job to this newly created backup file?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am

I’m also wondering what the source of the backup copy job is. Is it a backup job or individual VMs, instead? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dave-Departed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:35 am

Vitaliy S. wrote:Another reason why you cannot map your backup files could the version of these copied files. I didn't pay attention that you're trying to do that using backup files created by version 6.5. If you have an opportunity, can you please try to create active full using version 7 and then map your backup copy job to this newly created backup file?

I will try this, yes. It will just take a while, as our bandwidth is only 10mb, and it will have to be done over the WAN, as I don't have the space on my local v7 VBR server to hold a full backup.

v.Eremin wrote:I’m also wondering what the source of the backup copy job is. Is it a backup job or individual VMs, instead? Thanks.

It's a backup job, but it only contains a single VM.

Thanks

dave
Dave-Departed
Expert

Veeam Logoby Dave-Departed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 am

Ok, so I'm getting somewhere!!

Created a regular backup job, and mapped it to the offsite backup successfully... Changed both the Restore Points and Retention values to 1, and now I'm running that regular job, and it has removed all restore points and appears to be creating a new restore point. Looks like it's gonna take a while (the VM size is actually almost 1TB), but once that's done, it should work with a Backup Copy Job, I guess!

Will update this thread once the job(s) are finished!
Dave-Departed
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:41 pm

In fact you should be able to map the job to the backup created by v6.5. Most likely the reason of the error is the same as in that adjacent thread - the full backup is taken from the reversed incremental backup chain and vbm file contains information about increments:

Dave-Departed wrote:If I browse the backup file in the Veeam console, I can see it has 14 restore points associated with it, but obviously they are not there because I didn't import the VRB files. How do I get round this, please?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes, I have just talked to our QC team and it appears that you can only map backup copy job to the active full backup only, there shouldn't be any incremental files present in the backup chain.

If you do not want to run active full against the production VMs, here is a small tip/workaround that might help you:

1. Create any backup copy job on the local site
2. Add VMs you want to create backup files for to this job
3. Run this job to create a vbk file on any new local repository. Make sure your synchrotinzation interval ("Copy every" parameter) covers all VM restore points available on the main backup repository
4. Move newly created vbk file (and vbm) to the offsite repository
5. Run a re-scan job to pouplate backup console with that vbk file
6. Configure your "main" backup copy job to use the vbk file you've added to the remote repository in the backup mapping step of the wizard
7. Click "Sync now" to run your "main" backup copy job

Should work!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby smassey » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:11 am

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, I have just talked to our QC team and it appears that you can only map backup copy job to the active full backup only, there shouldn't be any incremental files present in the backup chain.

If you do not want to run active full against the production VMs, here is a small tip/workaround that might help you:

1. Create any backup copy job on the local site
2. Add VMs you want to create backup files for to this job
3. Run this job to create a vbk file on any new local repository. Make sure your synchrotinzation interval ("Copy every" parameter) covers all VM restore points available on the main backup repository
4. Move newly created vbk file (and vbm) to the offsite repository
5. Run a re-scan job to pouplate backup console with that vbk file
6. Configure your "main" backup copy job to use the vbk file you've added to the remote repository in the backup mapping step of the wizard
7. Click "Sync now" to run your "main" backup copy job

Should work!

Vitaly,

I have a question or two about this. My situation is a probably very similar to Dave's. I already back up directly to my offsite location, but I want to improve performance and shorten backup times by backing up locally and then using the backup job copy feature to ship deltas to my offsite location and use GFS retention schedules for long term storage. Due to the many constraints that I'm facing (bandwidth, lack of access to the data centers, travel times, consultant fees for simply plugging the drive in, etc) shipping the backup down there might not be feasible. However, I already have a lot of data at the remote site.

Based on the procedure you wrote above, can I do the following:
1. Create a backup copy job at the remote site using one of the jobs I already have stored at that site.
2. Run the sync for that site
3. Create a new backup job at my local site.
4. Map the new backup at my local site to the full backup that I just created at my remote site.
smassey
Novice

Liked: never

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication