Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kslaught21
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Slaughter

Seeding Question

Post by kslaught21 »

We are trying to seed a backup copy job for one of our Cloud Connect clients. Running into an issue where the second (job run) is filling up our NAS and the job is failing. I think the issue is the minimum 2 restore points for the Backup Copy job. Can we just create a regular backup job pointed to the NAS as the repository, only have 1 restore point, and use that as a seed to move to the Cloud? Would the cloud job then need to be a regular backup job, or could we create a new backup copy job and point to that .vbk file as the seed?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Seeding Question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Yes, one restore point(vbk) is enough for the seeding, however minimum number of restore points for backup copy job is 2.
Thanks!
kslaught21
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Slaughter

Post by kslaught21 »

Thanks for the reply...so I guess my question is, can we create a regular backup job (NOT a copy job) to generate a .vbk to be used as a seed, since with a regular backup job you can set it to 1 restore point? I'm assuming since we ran our NAS out of space it corrupted the entire chain and we'll have to start over (at least I have seen this in the past with seeding).
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Correct.
That`s how seeding usually works. You can produce a full backup locally with the basic backup job, transfer the backup to the secondary repository and use it there as a seed for backup copy job.
Thanks!