Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Selling VUL with only Enterprise Plus features and 24x7 is just a tax on SMB market

Post by m.novelli » 1 person likes this post

BTW, selling VUL with only Enterprise Plus features and 24x7 is just a tax on SMB market

I have a little less than 100 Veeam customers in SMB market, the Community Edition is enough for them except for 10 VM limit and missing export to Cloud

I open maybe 1 ticket for year out of dozens customers (Veeam Just Works - TM), I do maybe 1 restore for month

Gostev please feel free to not justify Veeam position, Company focus on Enterprise Market is clear.

Microsoft is doing the same mistakes with new Microsoft 365 absurd licensing and cost increase. The focus is on Enterprise, unfortunately the World is not only big markets like USA / UK / Germany :-(

Marco
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Selling VUL with only Enterprise Plus features and 24x7 is just a tax on SMB market

Post by Gostev »

Marco, I'm splitting into a separate conversation not to derail the original conversation.

If "Community Edition is enough" then you're really talking about Very Small Businesses. From our perspective, vSMB market belongs to managed service providers (MSPs) whose Rental licensing has much more flexibility than end-user licensing, and your edition/support level concerns no longer apply there. But yes, selling direct to vSMB at prices these guys expect is simply not profitable to Veeam, which is why we're giving Community Edition (CE) away for them to enjoy. Just keep in mind that it is against Veeam EULA for you to provide any type of service or assistance to your customers which involve CE.

Now, while "only Enterprise Plus features and 24x7" may sounds scary indeed, keep in mind that Veeam Essentials delivers all this for the same number of workloads as CE can protect at just USD 400 per year. I don't know how this matches the "greedy Enterprise-focused Veeam taxing SMB" picture you're trying to paint here :)

Thanks!
omfk
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Frank Knappe

Re: Selling VUL with only Enterprise Plus features and 24x7 is just a tax on SMB market

Post by omfk »

Hi Gostev,

just to check/compare the price you have mentioned (no discussion about "are our data worth it"). Are you talking about 400USD/year for 10 licenses of Veeam Essential?

Unfortunately the prices I see under this link are significantly larger:
1-year subscription
5,80 EUR per month
69,60 EUR per year, per license

With current USD/€ exchange it's nearly a factor of 2. Is Veeam in the US that much cheaper?

BR
Frank
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

It‘s ~400USD/year for 5 licenses.

In your prices, 1 license is around 70 euro.
You must pay them in 5er packages (VUL Essentials, max 50 licenses).

This makes the price for 5 licenses around 350 Euro, similar to the 400 USD.

All of our small customers (5-15 vms) are buying now VUL since 1 year and for the ones we manage, we use our Rental.

100.- per server/year for the protection of their data is a good price. Loosing the data would cost them much more. And if every server must be rebuild by us, our services would cost them much more to install the entire infrastructure from the start as a backup license.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

omfk wrote: Feb 02, 2022 8:56 pmAre you talking about 400USD/year for 10 licenses of Veeam Essential?
I'm talking about 400USD/year for 5 licenses of Veeam Essential, which will protect up to 10 workloads because with VUL you can exceed license usage permanently. Well, technically speaking, 5 licenses will protect you up to 15 workloads, which is even more than CE does... but since from 10 workloads on you will start getting a weekly warning, it is no more "clean" so I went with 10 for my earlier reply.

We allow to cleanly exceed VUL usage specifically because we sell VUL in packs only, and we did not want customers to complain that we're forcing them to buy more licenses than they actually need.

Prices are more or less the same globally. They may fluctuate quite a bit due to changes in exchange ratios, as price lists are in local currencies and they can only be updated every so often.
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Hi Gostev,

thanks for the explanation of the exceeding rule. It seems that I'm more of a law-abiding guy, who didn't expect such a generous regulation.

When we migrated our 2socket Essential license to VUL I opted for 15 VUL because we might exceed 10. At that time the price difference could not be that signifikant as the migration with 2 years subscription was only 400€. I should have opted for 5 years given that good price:-( Here I have to correct myself. Any additional year of subscription would have been 278€/5VUL. Still cheaper than 400€, but that was propably part of the special migration deals.

Based on the latest information (and also the fact that shut down VMs can be secured at no costs by VeeamZip) we will stay with Veeam but definitely lower the VUL numbers to 10 or even 5. I hope that such a decrease is allowed.

BR
Frank
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sure, you can always increase or reduce the number of instances when you subscribe to the next years.

But do make sure you did not receive a letter about your eligibility for the discount in perpetuity on the migrated instances. This depends on when you migrated, as early versions of the migration policy worked differently and did not have this concept. If you do have this discount, then I'd think twice before downsizing as you will loose this discount if you do... may not worth it in the long run.
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Thanks for the hint.

We migrated in march 2020 and I'll look into my email archive if I can find such a letter. The invoice (from your reseller) didn't contain such additional information.

BR
Frank
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yeah pretty sure it was not in place back then.
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Fate of the early adaptors:-(