Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Server build sanity check

Post by mikeely »

Looking to replace our VBR/Veeam One server and have what I think will be a good build, was hoping other folks here could review for any land mines I might be about to step in.

SuperServer 1029U-TN12RV configured as follows:
  • 2 Xeon Silver 4215 CPUs (fastest 8-core this chassis will support, keeping core count low thanks to SQL Server extortion/licensing costs)
  • 192 GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • 6x 375GB Optanes configured in 3 VROC mirrors: C: boot/applications, D: VBR DB, E: Veeam One DB
  • BCM57416 NIC
  • Server 2022
  • SQL 2019
The one big question mark for me in the above is storage usage: should I configure as above or have both databases on D and logs on E, or something completely different?

We're currently backing up 266 ESX VMs from two sites using 8 jobs.
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2311 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Server build sanity check

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

I would consider to move the veeam one server to another machine.
Your veeam one server is responsible to monitor your vbr server and send out alarms if something goes sideways.
That’s difficult todo if it runs on the same server as the vbr server.
Imagine you are doing audit reports with veeam one of your vbr server. You want to know exactly which user has done which restores. If you have veeam one, vbr and the sql server on the same server, a hacker could manipulated that data after restoring all the files he wanted.
Or your server crashed, veeam one will not inform you about it, because it‘s down too.

A monitoring system should always monitor a system from outside (other server) and not from the inside (on the same server).
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mikeely
Expert

Post by mikeely »

We do most of our monitoring outside Veeam One so that's not as big a concern as it would be for an org that uses Veeam One as primary monitor - it's icing on the top for us, nothing more :)

As to security, the number of people with access to the system is very limited, and our backups are shipped to cloud with immutability set.

Finally I don't think I'll be able to talk management into the added spend on a second server complete with extortionate Microsoft licensing and yet another Windows server to have to manage/support in what is almost exclusively a Linux/BSD shop.
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2311 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If this is only a Veeam Backup Server (no Repo, no Proxy), then you could install HyperV on the system and let both products run in their own vm. As far as I understood microsoft licensing Modell, you can run two virtual machines with a single license on the same hardware host :)

Can I ask what your backup target will be? Another system?
192GB RAM looks like a bit to much RAM if the server will not run backup proxies and backup repositories on it. I only see the drives for the databases in your topic.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mikeely
Expert

Post by mikeely »

From my understanding we'd have to buy the Datacenter SKU to have everything running in HyperV, which itself would be another Martian in our environment.

We're backing up to NFS repositories. The VBR server is one proxy among three in that location.